Megasquirt iPhone logging/display

Dave W

Any iOS 3.2 onwards device with a WiFi facility will be able to run it. As above, an iPod touch would do although I'm sure with the release of the iPhone 4S there will be a glut of "cheap" iPhone 3G and 3GS on your favourite auction site that may be cheaper than an iPod Touch.

If you're looking at a second hand iPod Touch I'd hang out for a fourth generation one.

The main downside of the iPod Touch over an iPhone 3GS or better is the lack of a proper GPS facility, the next release version and the current test version of MobiSquirt have the option of adding lat/long/speed/acc/dec information to the log file and will, when I finish it, have the ability to display the route and logged position when you play a log file back on the device. Mainly because I find it useful to analyse the log around a particular point in my journey. The iPod Touch uses WiFi hotspots to "calculate" your position whereas the iPhone has a built in GPS unit so is far more accurate - especially the iPhone 4.

hi dave, having downloaded it on iphone to see what it looks like and then also downloading it on my ipad, like many other iphone apps that run on on the ipad its locked to 1 orientation and when zooming in it goes all pix-elated, in the next version would it be possible to make it a ipad version as well?

tom

An iPad version is planned at some point, not sure when though, probably after I get the MS2-Extra support finished. The next version will be the MS2-Extra release so iPad native support is likely to be next but one. iPad support is "just" a case of sorting out a suitable UI that make sensible use of the extra screen real estate and the fact that iPads are more landscape oriented than iPhones and iPods.