TD5 Rev Counter Wiring

My Farmer Spec TD5 defender doesn't have a rev counter, and I would like to fit one.

Several people are offereing the guage for sale, but I am wondering if there are any extra wiring looms required or programming on the ECU?

I am kinda hoping that I can take the clock out, and plug the rev counter into a vacant plug in the loom...

If anyone who has done the job could shed any light, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

My Farmer Spec TD5 defender doesn't have a rev counter, and I would like to fit one.

Several people are offereing the guage for sale, but I am wondering if there are any extra wiring looms required or programming on the ECU?

I am kinda hoping that I can take the clock out, and plug the rev counter into a vacant plug in the loom...

If anyone who has done the job could shed any light, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

If your alternator has a "W" connection on the back then any aftermarket rev counter will work :)

SteveG did this and his was a famrer spec 90 to begin with. So have a look here. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5096&st=20

"First up was a quick easy mod of fitting a TD5 rev counter in the hole I'd left in the dash from moving the clock over. Easy mod to do as you use some 1mm2 wire to run from pin 19 on black ECU plug up into dash and wire in rev counter.."

Will sort out picking those bump stops up one evening this week and have a look at your new truck too.

Jon

Hi Mark

I have done what you want to do: "kinda hoping that I can take the clock out, and plug the rev counter into a vacant plug in the loom..."

I have used the genuine Td5 rev counter Part number YAE100790. This comes without the retaining ring to hold it in place, but you can use the one from the clock.

post-2567-127957578093_thumb.jpg

I do not think that "If your alternator has a "W" connection on the back then any aftermarket rev counter will work". :(

I removed the clock and moved the other instruments to the right. The rev counter was fitted next to the speedo. This puts in directly in the line of sight and is not obscured by the steering wheel.

post-2567-127957620516_thumb.jpg

The rev counter has 5 terminals:

Live and Earth - For illumination, use existing wiring

Live and Earth - Ignition controlled, use existing wiring

Signal from ECU

The signal wire goes to Pin 19 of the black plug on the ECU

post-2567-127957648095_thumb.jpg

It seems that some Defenders have this wire already and others do not, so you may have to run it yourself. It should be a white wire with a grey trace.

The black ECU plug is an AMP Econoseal which uses .070" (1.8mm) tabs and receptacles. These are the same size as the connectors used on NAS lights, so you can usually pick up a crimp terminal and sealing plug from Ebay

post-2567-127957707973_thumb.jpg

The only other modification needed is to cut the connector off the clock illumination wires and replace it with standard crimp terminals to fit whichever gauge you put in the hole where the clock was.

The ECU should not need programming for this to work.

I hope this helps...

Dave...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to update this thread to say that I finally got round to doing this mod...

Dave's writeup above is spot on with what and how to do this job, but I thought I would add the following details...

I also used a genuine TD5 rev counter - purchased from DLS as they advertised them cheaper than anywhere else. Devon4x4 also stock them at about the same price as from the main dealer, and the retaining ring to mount it.

The white/grey signal wire from the ECU was already in place up to the multiplug behind the dash. However, there was a vacant pin in the dash side of the loom. Rather than cut into the vehicle loom, I acquired another instrument loom (thanks james ;) ) and removed another pin, complete with wire, and used that instead.

I found that by moving the temp guage and the fuel guage accross, so that the rev counter could sit next to the speedo, the connections for one of the guages was too tight for comfort, so made up an extension, using parts from the other loom. I also used the other loom to provide connectors for the guage illumination connections too.

The only irreversible changes I made to my existing instrument loom was to interupt and extend the ignition switched live and ground from the clock to go into the back of the new rev coutnter. I did manage to do this without removing the clock plug completely though, just in case I feel the need to put it back to standard.

I will take some pictures of the finished loom, but it is pretty simple.

The clock will be reused in the soon to be added centre console, along with a volt meter.

As an aside, the td5 defender guages are all made by VDO, so I ordered this voltmeter, also by VDO, which matches perfectly wth the existing guages...

Cheers

Mark

What kind of rev counter can I use instead of the genuine one? here in Colombia the original one costs about the same money of a 2A Series, jejejeje.... besides, I work in a company who imports all kind of accesories, so maybe I have it in inventory here in the warehouse.......

• 1 year later...