Best angle grinder to buy?

will4x4

Hi whats in people's experience the best angle grinder to buy?.... i have gone through 3 of the £30-£40 bosch ones in 2 years....i do a far amount of cutting but nothing serious maybe 1 hour cutting ever 2-3 weeks

anyone had any good makes don't might spending £80 if it will last. I did buy a cheap one for £14 and that seemed to last as long as the bosch one from memory

Cheers

I just use a couple cheapies. Whatever homebase or B&Q have as their own brand. That way you can have one for cutting and one for grinding, saves changing disks about all the time.

Makes it less of a worry that your going to damage £100's worth of powertool too, and if it does blow up at an inopportune moment theres a second one on the shelf.

Makita and Metabo have done me well for some time now. Hitachi also seem to get very good review from people who use them every day.

The metabo one I have replaced a (green) bosch unit and has been great for 5 years or so (that's jinxed it)...

What colour are the bosch ones you are killing? Green tends to be thier Consumer/DIY grade stuff, and Blue is thier industrial/Pro stuff.

Bosch are not what they once were, and now live on reputation IMHO

I tend to buy anything cheap :P and with a decent wattage.

I have bought a £20 special from Screwfix, pale blue 900W and given it stick and 9/10ths :D

2 x from Wickes - same, blew one up after 18mths abuse, got new one both :ph34r: around 800W and £25 for TWO

and yonks back a "Power Devil" mad thing 950w 4.25inch and thats lasted 6 years of

horrible abuse. I use one for 1mm slitting discs, one as grinder and 2 x with flap pads,

sometimes they have got so hot I have had to use a welding glove to hold then :rolleyes:

So, go for big wattage - not silly 500 / 600w ones, 2 years warranty even better and cheap and use can get

Nige

We use the 4.5 INCH Metabo quick change at work, hour after hour, three year gaurentee, only had one out of 7 go phuff and that was replaced FOC :D

Got a couple of 9 inch Metabo's as well and they are great too

got a Makita 9 inch wich is good not tried their 4.5's so can comment

Had a couple of Hitachis and didnt last long, had a blue Bosch only lasted a week.

i wold recomend the Metabo

HTH

Tony

Makita and Metabo have done me well for some time now. Hitachi also seem to get very good review from people who use them every day.

The metabo one I have replaced a (green) bosch unit and has been great for 5 years or so (that's jinxed it)...

What colour are the bosch ones you are killing? Green tends to be thier Consumer/DIY grade stuff, and Blue is thier industrial/Pro stuff.

nail on the head thats the best 3 hitachi is a little cheeper though but equally as good

I have had two Bosch 4 1/2" grinders for over five years and built plenty of custom steel for my Bobtail and then the 90. Both are still going strong.

I think people tend to abuse grinders causing them to go pop. If you let the tool work properly it will last much longer. You can hear if it is straining because you have put too much pressure on it so back off a bit and preserve the tool.

Sorry if I am teaching anyone's granny to suck eggs....

• Like 1

I have had two Bosch 4 1/2" grinders for over five years and built plenty of custom steel for my Bobtail and then the 90. Both are still going strong.

I think people tend to abuse grinders causing them to go pop. If you let the tool work properly it will last much longer. You can hear if it is straining because you have put too much pressure on it so back off a bit and preserve the tool.

Sorry if I am teaching anyone's granny to suck eggs....

I've got two 4 1/2" green bosch grinders that I inherited quite some years ago, have no good idea of their actual age, but they keep on trucking.

With regard to Bosch, keep in mind their green items are ment for DIY while the blue items are ment for daily use. The prices are a bit different too. Within the blue range there are both heavy duty and light duty items, again at rather different price points.

I agree with Nige, go for the cheapest and chuck it away when it breaks, mine seem to pack up with metal dust in the bearings rather than the motor and I doubt there's much difference between them in that department. Pity Power Devil don't appear anymore, all the stuff my old man had from them was abused by all and sundry on his building sites and never seemed to pack up. I had a Fern angle grinder from Screwfix that was the same, lasted about ten five years, it had to be hit with a hammer to get it started towards the end but it still struggled on for a year or so despite the beatings.

I Thought it was just me that had a problem with grinders :( on my last vehicle build i sacraficed 5 grinders, bosch, black&decker, ryobi, i think the only answer is an air opperated one if you have a decent compressor

• 3 years later...

I personally own an old Dewalt grinder, but would never buy a new one, they have gone downhill over the last few years.

At work we eat grinders for breakfast, used inside glove boxes with little ventilation and very high dust atmosphere, currently use Suhner Rotomax cable drive units but you wouldn't like the price.

The only hand held ones that last for us are Metabo, sealed motors, lowest vibration figures and good customer service, the only down side is the size of the body due to the sealed motor.

Do yourself a favour and get Pferd abrasives, we've tried allsorts and nothing comes close for durability and smooth running.

No affiliations blah blah blah

Just a very satisfied customer who uses the above extensively.

Bosch Hitachi and Dewalt are nothing like they once were..................

Longest lasting one I ever had was a Black and Decker, had it twenty plus years and it only broke after it got run over. This was the day before the turn of the Millenium. Bought a blue Bosch to replace it,as it should last years, but in line with most overrated and overpriced German stuff, it lasted until March 2001. Just over a year.

Replaced it with a Milwaukee because it was on special, and its superb.

I worked quite a bit in the local metal shop and was disappointed in the modern Makita. (they buy half a dozen annually) Its true they get abused, but some had noisy gears straight out of the box and were clearly not right. There are also a lot of Makita models for each type of grinder and it takes a bit of research to make sure you are getting the real 'industrial' model.

My best one lately is AEG, about 4 years and going strong, and much quieter than the Makita.

I have a Bosh professional for cutting and grinding which seems to be very good - no complaints after 5 years.

Also a cheap Ferm jobby for wire cups, they tend not to last so long but the wire cups are large/aggressive versions that knacker bearings.

I've got a cheapo Wicks one which has lasted me well, and a skinny blue Bosch one, which I love. As it's so skinny, I can use it single handed far more, and for much, much longer. I think it cost me about £50 from a local tool shop. I look after my tools, and don't overload them, but I do use them a lot, and so far the bosch has been flawless.

I now swear with Metabo for all my electric tools which get regular use, including my grinder. I killed 1 Black and decker grinder with the first rebuild, after about 2 years use. I have a few cheaper brands, like my circular wood saw, because I use it about once a year at most.