Defender SD33

I'm currently thinking of buying a Defender hard top with a Nissan SD33 NA engine, would this be a wise move?

I've checked th chassis and everything appear to be fine, I just wondered wether getting parts for the engine would be an issue?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

No advert, sorry just saw it for sale on the road. The engine sounds fine bit smokey at start up but soon sorts itself out. I was wondering whether the parts etc were easy to get for the SD33 or whether it's worth putting a turbo on it. Thanks

Land Rovers are worth more with Land Rover engines in them..

There is enough to choose from.

Saying that my first Land Rover was 90 with an Isuzu in it.. My only problem came when I had to change the clutch, it had a bit of both which took a few trips back to the Land Rover and Isuzu parts dealerships to sort out.

A friend built an 88" a few years back with the SD33, complete with Nissan gearboxes and axles. The donor vehicle was a SWB Patrol that had rusted out. It certainly went very well, almost too quick for a Series :lol: .

It's a lovely smooth running engine.

So, I finally got to test drive the Defender yesterday. The engine was fine, chassis was strong, yes in did need some tlc but that's to be expected for it's age.

The biggest issue was that the 3.3 ltr lump was revving out a 50 mph in top which is a little too slow for me, does this sound correct or do you think someone has altered the gearing?

Many thanks

is it on the original gearbox, a few years ago I had use of a 110 fited with a straight 6 perkins it was very short between gearchanges on the original LT77, pulled like a locomotive but only got to about 55mph flat out.

I doubt the SD33 revs as high as a Tdi for instance, so that will reduce your top speed to some extent. If you look hereyou will see the max power is rated at 3600RPM, and the turbo version at 3800RPM.

It could also be that the truck is fitted with a 1.6:1 transfer box, especially if it originally had a LR normally asthmatic engine. That on its own will limit top speed while the engine will rev out easily.

One other point to consider is whether this engine was from a road going vehicle. It was also popular as a marine/plant engine. Versions for such applications would most likely run at lower RPM. I'm sure a little time with Google will tell you what engine numbers relate to which model.

If it is revving out from poor gearing then sticking a Disco transfer box on would sort it very easily....

Thanks a lot, so the $64 million questions, is this fairly simple to fit, do I need to look for a specific type of Disco diff, is it a straight swap for the transfer box on there already?

Cheers

Thanks a lot, so the $64 million questions, is this fairly simple to fit, do I need to look for a specific type of Disco diff, is it a straight swap for the transfer box on there already?

Cheers

near enough a straight swap but the handbrake bracket will need some bolt holes drilling/threading, or convert to the disco/RRC handbrake, as shown here