OT - help inventing something

We have a young cat, who is just discovering the joys of the outside world, and in particular the joys of bringing back half dead furry and feathered animals as presents. The other day she brought a dead bird into the house, and dropped it onto the bedroom floor, right where I put my feet in the morning. Nice.

I've been trying to think of ways to prevent this - some kind of clever cat flap, perhaps, but so far have come up with nothing. Any ideas from the inventive world of LR4x4?

Any ideas must be cat friendly (ie. not including a bag, a brick and a river) as the cat belongs to Mrs. trodden, and those who have met her will understand that she isn't one to upset.

LR content - I put my back out a couple of days ago moving some landy bits around the garage, and cannot now move. I'm doped up on painkillers and valium (doesn't make it hurt any less, it's just that I couldn't give a stuff anymore) and am bored enough to try to think of ways of stopping the cat bringing 'friends' in as presents for us.

Ah yes.

Part of the full spectrum of joy of cat ownership, ......giving pills, and get mauled are a couple of the others.

As the keeper of a near 20 part ferral cat, I have failed here, failed completely, as kitty has at her tender young age continued to see the cat flap as a handy entrance to her personal storage locker AKA the F House.

The unsocked foot on dead bird / moouse / rat / rabbit is however the beginning if anything like ours is to go by...

Bring in dead "Item"

Jump on bed, and eat, however. it seems she is practised in either leaving some internal organ (evey thing else eaten) or with birs leaving 1 leg, I mean FFS one leg why ?

The bonus is with practise "Madam" will often now keep it down :lol:

Nige

She doesn't really seem to eat them - just bring them in as presents for us. The only thing missing from the birds are the feet. Either they are feline delicacys, or the bird was gripping the branch REALLY well when she came along, and are still there on the branch. Trouble is, she is so sweet and nice most of the time - if only I could make her understand that I don't want entrails inbetween my toes, everything would be fabulous.

Look on the bright side - she knows you're the boss, or she wouldn't be bringing you gifts :)

My cat back home was a cocky little so-and-so. He knew he was top cat, so never left any gifts (he'd bring 'em in live sometimes and play with them, though...). My sisters cat used to leave the presents, especially if he'd been told off for not killing enough rabbits/mice/whatever. No idea how he knew that was was what he was in trouble for...guess he just knew he was out of favour and brought offerings :huh:

Despite Mrs Masses preferences I still favour the sack, brick and river option. Failing that, isn't the done thing to fit a bell to the cat thereby preventing him from sneaking up on stuff? A nail through it's neck should do it.

Chris

You need something with pulleys and flailing knives, like a design hybrid between the machines that sort good coins from bad ones at really high speed and something out of Wallace and Gromit. It shall be named 'The Cat-o-Matic' and painted in gaudy colours like a fairground ride.

torto2.gif

We came up with the idea of shutting the kitchen door!

At least the dead thing is then dumped on a nice wipe clean floor!! (where is the emote-icon for cleaning/buffing when you need it??!!)

(mind you - imagine what use that icon would be put to on this forum!!!!!!!!!)

Kick the F cat out when you go to bed and don't let it in again until morning. That's what I do and I have never woken up with anything dead in my bed :)

A bit like keeping dogs in a kennel outside, pets are something that people get far too soppy about IMHO, thousands of years of evolution mean that they actually don't mind being outside.... and mine have a nice cosy box to live in, which they wouldn't have had in 1100AD :P

She doesn't really seem to eat them - just bring them in as presents for us. The only thing missing from the birds are the feet. Either they are feline delicacys, or the bird was gripping the branch REALLY well when she came along, and are still there on the branch. Trouble is, she is so sweet and nice most of the time - if only I could make her understand that I don't want entrails inbetween my toes, everything would be fabulous.

All of those dead and half dead birds/animals would have been alive before that bl00dy cat got them. Studies indicate that the evidence you have seen would be only a fraction of those that it has killed/injured. :(

Exterminate the cat is my very strong opinion. And I feel nearly the same about cat lovers. As for those that know and condone it happening, well ...........................

Introduced cats and foxes are doing enormous damage to the wildlife population here in Australia.

All of those dead and half dead birds/animals would have been alive before that bl00dy cat got them. Studies indicate that the evidence you have seen would be only a fraction of those that it has killed/injured. :(

Exterminate the cat is my very strong opinion. And I feel nearly the same about cat lovers. As for those that know and condone it happening, well ...........................

Introduced cats and foxes are doing enormous damage to the wildlife population here in Australia.

spoken like a true bush loving Aussie, John. :D although I have heard the theory put forward that the feral cat is merely filling the void left by the near extermination by white fella of the quoll, who's range and eating habits are pretty similar.

as to a bell around its neck......sorry, they don't work. Cats are consumate hunters, ever watched one stalking prey ?

I hate cats! Something with high voltage to learn it would be my preference!

However, if you wanted the engineering solution, I would go with something which measures the weight of the cat before opening the door.

This could be as simple as a sprung platform in a little tunnel which is depressed as the cat walks on to it. A bar sticks up to the side of the platform with a notch cut in it. Glue another bar with a notch cut in to the door such that the bar on the platform runs freely up and down in the notch in the door bar. When the two notches line up, the door is free to open. If the cat is too light or heavy it will not.

mog-o-matic.gif

Might also be useful if the cat is in need of a big dump - save that being left as a bonus prezzy for you!

Si

my mum has a lot of trouble with her cat bringing home all sorts of prezzies... he even caught a weasel last year...

the only way forward is to nail the catflap shut, and search him before he comes in... mum props the porch door open with a rock, and has a glass panelled front door, so she can 'inspect' him, sitting in the porch, before she lets him in.

Despite Mrs Masses preferences I still favour the sack, brick and river option. Failing that, isn't the done thing to fit a bell to the cat thereby preventing him from sneaking up on stuff? A nail through it's neck should do it.

Chris

Chris does not like dogs either....................................