marking your rope

stripy

when using the rear winch i cant see when the rope is near its end, what i need to do is mark it so my bitch can see when to shout stop , iv'e tried elec tape but it gets rock hard and peals

what ideas do you have :rolleyes:

I have sprayed luminous marking paint on mine about 8 foot out,

so when I see it (front or rear) its a "Thats It" message

It needs to be 8 footish so that fro inside you can see the paint colour,

at the end of the rope is

too close to the drum, so can't see it from within

Works for me, tape didn't :D

Nige

At work we use a dye chemical called flurodye (spelling ???), which is red in colour - we use it for colouring mud. I've got it on my rubber wellies before and not been able to get it off (binned my last boots a year after getting it on them) despite getting them constantly wet, muddy, oily, greasy etc.... Would this be ok on rope ?

G

Ask whoever is operating the winch to open their eyes!

I can't imagine anyone actually "needing" to be told when to stop spooling in if they are actually looking at the rope!

Or perhaps get a winch bitch who is competent :ph34r:

Lara :lol::lol:

P.S.

Superpants,

what do you use to mark the top of your climbing rope to tell you to stop climbing? :lol::lol:

Sorry but it is a funny thread ;)

I find the marked rope usefull where I am on my own in the cab with a winch bitch 100 foot or so away with a stuck truck asking for more slack, as I spool out (I have air freespools inside cab) I can see from the drivers seat the marked rope ....and thus stop :)

Same goes from the rear, also usefull when I have to tie winch rope to tree and lower myself in to do a recovery, again from rear view mirror I can see coloured marker :)

Bear in mind sometimes when I am doing event recoveries I may be on my own with no bitch, and although there are always people offering help often they are worse than no help :lol:

Nige

Actually I have to admit to reading the initial post incorrectly, It seems we are now talking about winching out and needing to mark the last few winds on the drum etc. Apologies for sarcasm, (well I am almost sorry :lol: )

Not a bad idea, I have a black protective sheath over mine for the last 3 metres, seems to stay in place fairly well. although it wasn't fitted for that purpose it would do that job well. You can get this from Warn.

Lara

When underground, I usually find i get a sharp tap on the head to tell me I have reached the roof- that usually suffices :)

On the surface, the paniced yells from belayers telling you that you are about to run out of rope tend to serve the same purpose...

on a more serious note- the colouring is usually used to mark the centre of the rope, although most climbing ropes come with this. In caving, rope tends to be sold off the reel, so you need to mark it yourself.

Stick a magnet to the rope and put a reed switch on the fairlead :ph34r:

Fridge, I've googled and I can't find any really high current reed switches?

I think the best idea would be a parallel piece of string 2m shorter than winch rope, so that when the hook gets too far away it pulls a lever and the winch stops. Would work with hydro and PTO winches then, too :lol:

Just splice an eye in the end of the rope, wrap it around the drum and loop the rope through it. This stops it coming out when you hanging of it. I also use a bolt in my ep 9 drum through this eye to lock the rope to the drum, so you can still winch up again to release it.

The whole painting idea is a waste of time when you plan to get muddy.

Daan