split charge batteries

hi all. im at a stage in my rebuild where i need battery systems. whats the best sort of batteries to use on my vehicle. im running a split charge system. its a defender td5 110. it will be running winch,x 4 spot lamps , x2fog lamps , maybe 3 work lamps, heated seats 4x and all the usual bits on a defender and alarm system. dont know whether it makes a difference but the engine will be tuned as well.

what does everyone recommend?

cheers all

chris

All depends how much you want to spend and what you need it to do, having a quick google Odysseys are massive money compared to a decent quality "normal" battery so up to you if you need that level of performance. Also worth noting that deep cycle batteries are not overly friendly to winch motors if run right down to no volts under load.

Is it a daily driver, expedition truck, challenge truck, play truck? What's the budget?

both mine are deep cycle & not found any problem with the Husky winch motor if the winch batt is low, should winch with engine/alternator charging anyway, unless it's impossible because the engine has be drowned or otherwise faulty.

whatever you choose.... make sure they're both the same (age, model, size, condition etc)....

optima yellow top, hawker, NSB 90, PC2150 or 1700 as said above are all good makes :) we've found that the optima and northstar NSB90 to be the most powerful with nothing really noticeable between them.

Gordon

Wow what a coincidence

I decided i was going to start a thread today which was exactly this lol so dont need to any More :)

I also Need 2 Batterys and split charge system for about the same usage,

ive read ages ago about home made split charge systems using a relay

does anyone know how to do this?

cookie64

I used these parts page 757 relay type split charge on my 110. easyish to fit, I haven't used parts 9 to 14, although I have them on the shelf in my garage, modded that end to connect to the batteries, 1 lead is a earth between both batts, the other 2 cables go to each batt +ve terminal.

both mine are deep cycle & not found any problem with the Husky winch motor if the winch batt is low, should winch with engine/alternator charging anyway, unless it's impossible because the engine has be drowned or otherwise faulty.

To be fair Ralph, I've not noticed your truck doing a lot of winch challenges :P As voltage drops, amps drawn go up, and P=I^2R so the heat dissipation in the motor goes through the roof. Having a deep cycle battery lets you abuse your motor more easily, obviously no-one would ever do such things :rolleyes:

No, don't do winch challenges, thats not what my truck is kitted for, but I have & still do some long rallycar recovery jobs in which the winch does a lot of work often double lined, just don't want or need to runout of power when pulling a very badly trashed but still expensive rallycar up.