Anyone benchtested a wastegate????

davek0974

Hi all,

just got my replacement turbo (2nd hand) and thought i would check the wastegate to ensure its not been tampered with and would blow the lid off my disco when i fire her up !

My knowledge is limited but i presumed that as i need 12psi max boost, the wastegate actuator would start moving at around 12psi???

I checked it on our air bench at work and nothing happens until it gets to about 24psi when it starts to move.

Is this normal or do i now have the wrong turbo??

The unit itself looks correct, its a garrett t250-04 ERR4893

Thanks

Dave

Ok, yes you can, spoke to 3 recon guys on phone and the settings are:-

Pressure 17.9psi to 18.9psi should give an actuator rod movement of 0.38mm.

Basically was advised to stuff 18psi up the actuator and set the rod so that it 'just' moves as the pressure is applied / removed.

The unit i received was higher so i've set it this way, we'll see.

The higher pressure setting on the actuator is to allow for pressure loss/back pressure from the pipes and intercooler etc.

Note that these settings are for a Garrett T250-04 turbo on a Disco 1 300tdi only, and of course, don't take my word as gospel as its not my fault if your lid blows off :)