200 series Heater Blower replacement

jen90csw

Hi all,

As the title suggests,my heater seems to be broken? :rolleyes:

The vehicle is a 1991 V8 without air-con.

There is a power feed going into the motor and the garage has quoted £500 to do a heater blower replacement as a 7 hour job? :o

We are going to undertake the job ourselves as we understand it is time consuming rather than to technical?

Any advise/tips would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks in advance Jen.

The cause is likely to be the motor bearings have seized. The motor usually squeals for a while before locking up completely (plain bearings running dry and motor shaft rustng).

Unfortunately the motor is buried within the heater and the car is assembled around the heater (or so it seems!). To replace the motor the heater will have to come out completely which necessitates removing the dashboard.

I would allow at least a day for the job, preferably two, and work methodically noting what comes from where to aid reassembly. Dismantling and reassembling the heater is quite tricky although I think the Haynes manual describes it reasonably well. I did mine as part of a greater rebuild and the lengthy period between dismantling and reassembling made the job more difficult. Also, I couldn't find my little puller for removing the steering wheel so left it in place which made life more difficult. One last thing, removing the heater will involve partially draining the cooling system and some care when refilling to bleed the air out.

Best of luck with it!

Peter.

Thanks for the replies guys.

No the blower does not work at all dead as a dodo!

There is power to the motor, but the heater just does nothing!

We believe that the vehicle has just stood through last winter,

so the motor is probably rusted up as you said.

Ho-hum dash out it is then! :blink: