T-max Winches

Hi all,

So whilst Im spending some money on the series 1, I figure why not spend a bit more.

Im after a winch, dont have buckets of money, so my choices are a secondhand "top" make but no guarantee's (If I find one) or a T-Max 11000.

I phoned rebel 4x4 to order one (best price I could find) but they said they are not selling them until a certain issue is resolved as they have had a number of returns with the same fault.

Does anybody have experiance of the T-Max? any good?

Anybody know the "returns" problem?

Or any other budget options?

Frankly, if it were my money, I'd get a second hand Husky.

Desperately unfashionable on the old forum, they go for about £250 in good order at the sortouts.

It's not the fastest winch in the world, but it's as strong as old boots.

As with a lot of stuff nowdays.

These are built down to a price, not up to a specification.

Save your money,

whats one of these going to be worth secondhand ?,

what you you pay for it second hand ?,

what would you pay for a 8274 S/H ?, or a Husky,

...................and why ?................

Yep, quality................, always carries a premium...........always has a value.

Nige

A mate has one (9000lb version) on his bobtail and says its hopeless. That may be down to wiring which he is sorting but first impressions ain't good.

I will be on the look out for a Husky when the time comes, I don't give a stuff about speed, if I am stuck I want to get out not stand in 18 inches of mud cursing my decision for hours.

Will :)

Hi all,

So whilst Im spending some money on the series 1, I figure why not spend a bit more.

Im after a winch, dont have buckets of money, so my choices are a secondhand "top" make but no guarantee's (If I find one) or a T-Max 11000.

I phoned rebel 4x4 to order one (best price I could find) but they said they are not selling them until a certain issue is resolved as they have had a number of returns with the same fault.

Does anybody have experiance of the T-Max? any good?

Anybody know the "returns" problem?

Or any other budget options?

:o mmm interested on this one as the 90 was going to go into Southside ARB (Brisbane) to have an ARB bumper and was thinking of a T-Max winch (as i did not need anything really speacial) was hoping with the OME kit , split charge, UHF raido and big f*** off areal hanging off the front bumper. That i might get a deal , but will have to rethink.

As the main reason i want a winch is to get me out of carp in the middle of Aus , when i will be miles away from anywhere. And i mean mile and miles. So the last thing is the winch not working

As the main reason i want a winch is to get me out of carp in the middle of Aus , when i will be miles away from anywhere. And i mean mile and miles. So the last thing is the winch not working

And yet the T-Max seems to be a popular choice in Aus, maybe that does say something about them.

Ali,

Jeeez Mate, you should know better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! T Max tut tut tut tut :huh:

Just reminds us all ....................

what the winches you used to have were ?.... :rolleyes:

Nige :ph34r:

T max tut tut tut tut.............Ali really.... :D

mmmmmm

A warn 8274 and a Husky

:(

And yet the T-Max seems to be a popular choice in Aus, maybe that does say something about them.

mm well that is my thinking. But you have to remeber that they are not sitting in Mud and carp for most of their lives.

It is a T-Max or a Warn 8000.

T-Max are sold here in Australia under a number of different brand names - T-Max (obviously), Thor, Ox & Brawn, probably others too. The Brawn is apparently a locally re-worked jobbie that is guaranteed waterproof :ph34r: , the others are straight imports.

From reputation that I've read so far, the T-Max range is well regarded and every bit the equal of a Warn slow-mount in equivalent size. They are considered most definitely better machines that the budget Warn range (Magnum or Tabor), which are getting a reputation of being utter cr@p.

To be clear, this is all reputation from other users here in Oz. I don't have one, I have a Warn XD9000, although I would have no hesitation in gettinga T-Max if I needed to buy a winch.

Thor were recently selling the 5.5hp 9500lb winch complete with plasma and wireless remote for about 680 quid. Don't know whether that deal is still on though.

Paul

Dare I mention the M-word?

The reason I got what I did was pretty much exactly what you said ^^^

Am a big fan of the Warn 8274 and the come up dv9000

Both great winchs in there own right, as is the warn m8000.....

And i like most thought when the T-max came out "Here we go, another load of sh*t!"

However....

Since this time I have fitted and sold over 30 units, varying from the 9000 to the 12000I all of which seem to be pretty reasonable.

We have had one come back so far (Customers bumper was not up to the job, flexed and damaged the winch)

So unbelievably i've got to say why not,

If you want a budget winch at no money its got to be worth it.

As for the ole secondhand husky bit, Well forget all its problems etc.... When you buy a secondhand winch you usally end up replacing solenoinds etc, and find that you could have bought new for the money you spent.

Go for it Ali, Be intrested in what you think of it.

Have to say i do like the new Outback series T-max 12000 with built in wireless remote, integral solenoid and overload warning light and for still less than half the price of a Warn 8274, Now that is impressive B)

Look forward to hearing more about T-max and others who have used them in anger.

They aslo do a really bloody good high lift for less than £40inc and a wire less remote for other similair winches for around £100...

Which ever way you look at it, its's stuff that for that kinda money it's worth a go ;)

More feed back on T-Max would be very helpful though

All the Best

Jim :)

Ps: Shameless Plug: We carry most T-Max winches on the shelf most of the time Etc, etc..... Eeerrrrrr Not usually my style, Sorry....... ;)

If I were spending the money I would buy a Superwinch EP9 from, and I hate to say this, David B*wyer. :ph34r:

My reasons are that he is supplying them with a decent motor, having seen the inards of the gear box it is well built, they come with an (copy all be it) albright type contactor and a cone brake, all for £375 plus Vat.

Obviously it's not an 8274 but you would be lucky to find one second hand ;) and then it wouldn't be covered by the kind of waranty that someone with DB's reputation would offer you. ;)

Phil at PG winches has second hand 8274 and other stuff from time to time, and he refurbs them, and knows what he is doing..

AS a customer of his I cannot speak highly enough of him, top bloke honest and will offer free advicve EVEN if it means he won't get a sale...

Many I know go back to him over and over again because he is honest and straight.

Shame few more 4x4 companies aren't 50% like him

Nige

Nige

Aren't you supposed to be down at Tony C's place ? I thought all the forum hard core were down there this weekend. Maybe one day I'll pluck up the courage to go to Slindon (not that I know where it is).

Ivan

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No, don't remind me,

Have to go to a friend of SWMBO for a F wedding tommorow, which has been planned for months, - and on top of that think the bloke involved is a complete and utter 'Knob'.

And thats being kind to say the least ......................

He's a : (in no order of importance)

1. Vegitarian (if god had meant us to be Veggies he would not have made animals taste so good)

(thats offended Gawd knows how many forummers so far - sorry)

2. GreenPeace supporter (nuff said) and WWF and "Make poverty history" car sticker....

3, Was "gay" FFS .......... - she has "Converted" him ...... - this is only ever going to end in tears ???

4. A Rambler - no I jest not,

he is not going to really get on with me isn't he ?...or Visca Versa ...............

She is just lovely, ..........really really nice lass, .............but seems to attrat loosers....

So yes thanks for that,

think of me tommorow afternoon,

trying not to lump a nicely newly married complete £$%^&*() pratt

Oh and I'm under "Orders" to 'behave' :lol::lol::lol: .................

Moi ????? :D

Nige

pant Pant Pant :angry:

Just keep thinking good thoughts and stay calm. At least she will be able to claim half of his worldly possesions when the inevitable happens.

BTW how do you get the other smileys on here (i.e. the ones from orrp).

Ivan

Edited cos I've had too many beers and can't spel anymore ;)

I've had a T-max 11000 on test for some months now - it was supplied as a test unit by Bearmach with the understanding that it would be tested 'proper'. So far it has almost ripped Tony Walsh's gear box X-member off, snapped it's steel cable, hauled out bogged 4x4's and the odd tractor, done a fair few self recoveries, winch long and hard and short and easy. It has been under water/mud a few times and generally used hard. It hasn't broken yet!

I spoke to Phil Gordon at PG about what would go wrong with it and he told me what to look out for - Solenoids and the clutch lever.

It is slow! Very slow! Almost as slow as a Husky, but it pulls like a long dog after a bitch on heat...

The solenoids are OE but have been moved to away from damp and the wander lead has been dumped in favour of a Fearnbuilt unit.

I like it. When I break it I will let you know.

I would prefer a DV9000 with a 5.6 motor but no one has offered one yet.

BTW - if you want the EP9i, buy a DV9000 and paint it blue/black/silver, move the solenoid box and buy some Superwinch stickers. Then spend the money you saved on Plasma 12 and a good dinner for 2 at a posh eatery. It's the same bl**dy winch you pilchards! The changes are sooooo minor as to be pointless and the DV is a great winch.

"When you buy a secondhand winch you usally end up replacing solenoinds etc, and find that you could have bought new for the money you spent."

Some cases yes, and others, not really.

Case in point, is the M8000 I bought earlier this year. The seller sold it as a DIY. He claimed that the brake assembly was dragging and needed replacing.

Once I had the winch, I gave it a thorough look over and I found that the electrical connections were ALL rusty. Obviously, I cleaned them up and the winch runs a treat. There was never a problem with it, just poor maintance. AND I got it dirt cheap! :P

Todd.