no dip headlights

Hey all,

Went out last night and realised i have no dip beam in landy, 2003 td5 defender.

Been out today and checked bulbs, both ok. tried new bulbs into it and no joy.

Have main beam both sides using original bulbs.

Been having a poke with meter and get volts at the plug on back of bulb when main beam is on, but nothing at all for dip.

Checked all fuses and ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Davie

hi western,

checked the fuses, will re check again shortly just in case i missed it.

how/where do i check this switch?

i am reaching the limit of my electrics knowledge and very basic with a meter so its a steep learning curve.

thanks

I had a similar problem a few years back, and it was the master switch (which was only a few months old too)replaced it and all was hunky dory. When I took the old(new) switch apart I could not find any obvious problems with it.

hi western,

checked the fuses, will re check again shortly just in case i missed it.

how/where do i check this switch?

i am reaching the limit of my electrics knowledge and very basic with a meter so its a steep learning curve.

thanks

the main light switch can get a bit warm & the contacts get pushed back into the plastic casing, only fix is a new switch preferably a LR genuine item, with your meter unplug the switch & do some checks between the off/side light & dip headlight positions, if at all suspect replace.

If the dim/dip relay is in the same place as all other 90/110's then remove the clocks-by removing the 4 screws that hold it in situ then look into the area behind the clocks to the right hand side(you may need to use a torch to do this)and you'll see a pink/red relay attached to the bulkhead, the last time the symptom's you describe happened to me was when the relay was loose in the connector block all it took was for me to push it back in and all was right again

HTH

John

:) thanks all for help. Took to garage for testing and we borrowed the known good dim/dip relay from his landy and it worked so i have just fitted the new one and all is good.

one dead dim/dip relay in the bin.

davie

there is a mod you can do, by fiting a jumper wire across 2 of the dim dip relay socket wires, then you can ditch dimdip altogether, it's not a legal requirement anymore, the light reg that concerns dimdip was resinded a few years ago.

there is a mod you can do, by fiting a jumper wire across 2 of the dim dip relay socket wires, then you can ditch dimdip altogether, it's not a legal requirement anymore, the light reg that concerns dimdip was resinded a few years ago.

Somewher I posted a sketch of which sockets you join in the relay holder.