Disco 1 low on power, maybe this is why??

davek0974

Hi all, following on from my previous posts regarding the lack of power which i later found out to be caused by not having any turbo boost at all, i got hold of a 2nd hand manifold and turbo from a parts dealer on eBay, it came with a 60 day swap-out warranty so it seemed ok to risk it.

Anyway, 2 hours of spanner-work and a bit of sweat later, it was fitted and running. A road test shows a healthy 11-12psi of boost at 2500-3200rpm and a much more realistic driving experience, she will now pull in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.

The old unit was stripped on the bench and the reason discovered...

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t1.jpg

So the question is, WHAT HAPPENED???? There was no damage to the intake scroll or any shrapnel in the cooler so it must have happened some time pre-purchase and was cleaned up for the sale?.

I also discovered a leaking exhaust gasket on cylinders 1 & 4, no gasket on the turbo oir return pipe and the copper washers on the turbo feed pipe were fitted wrong.

NEWS JUST IN !!!!!!!!!!

I have just heard from someone that suffered the same fate, turns out that water from wading got sucked in, ripped all the blades off the turbo and blew them out the rubber outlet elbow.

Was told that at the speed they run, water is the same as shoving a spanner in there.

NEWS JUST IN !!!!!!!!!!

I have just heard from someone that suffered the same fate, turns out that water from wading got sucked in, ripped all the blades off the turbo and blew them out the rubber outlet elbow.

Was told that at the speed they run, water is the same as shoving a spanner in there.

You would want to hope that none of that metal made its way into the motor. But what you are suggesting as a fault would break the fins, they look ground down.

Thats what i cant figure out.

When i stripped the intercooler for cleaning there were a couple of small bits of silver metal in the tank but i was concentrating on the oil that was also present.

Although i couldnt see any signs of tampering, the oil feed banjo bolt washers were fitted wrong and there were two gaskets on the oil return flange instead of one. It took some serious work to strip the unit for the pictures and no signs of the wrong tools being used etc.

Why bother to replace the front housing witha knackered impellor???

The 2nd hand unit and manifold didnt cost too much so i cant see the point of stripping and refitting when you know it wont work???

The engine sounds ok, usual diesel knocks and grumbles etc, so if the material did make its way in there, it does not seem to have done much damage. My guess is that unless it came off as a fine dust, it would have got caught in the intercooler tank and been chucked out in order to hide the evidence.

a couple of years ago i decided to do a 200tdi conversion on my s11a swb, anyway i bought a disco 200tdi engine from ebay and noticed the turbo had the start of what your pic shows, the fins had started to wear away, as i only had the engine i suspected the air intake hose that would have been connected to the turbo may have fraid inside the hose and exposed the wire inside the rubber of the hose and under load sucked and slightly unraveled towards the fins, but i could be wrong anyway i fitted a new turbo just incase and the engine ran perfikly and still is now.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

Yep, its certainly baffling a lot of people.

I did notice a piece of metal on the underside of the intake manifold, turned out it was the remains of a heatshield - part no ESR2422 and there was nothing left of it. I was wondering if not having this shield would allow the intake elbow to overheat and get sucked in???

Naturally i have fitted a new heatshield plate as it was very cheap, it seperates the exhaust manifold from the turbo inlet hose.

Dave