Repair and Upgrade 300tdi engine

mayur

hi i recently brought a 300tdi manual non-edc when i was ripped off :( i got 60ish miles before the car started over heating and by the time i could pull over the headgasket and head where blown out :S

i have removed the head found it to be cracked so will defiantly need to replace, also removed the turbo to check and its bearing was gone and there was loads of play on the shaft

i have removed the rad and intercooler for cleaning and they seen in ok condition

iv decided to upgrade the turbo from a 530d BMW with VNT to hopefully get it to run smoother :) and maybe abit more power from it

is there anything i will need to look or upgrade out for on the engine when i put it back together ?? and anywhere i can get another cylinder head from

thanks

Cylinder heads on ebay, i have just done turbo as my one was dead when i bought it (another rip-off), the difference between a working one and a duff one is considerable. Be wary of trying to extract more power, these are old lumps and built for slogging not thrashing, especially when pulling 2 tons of car along, i have read some pretty bad things.

Good luck

Cylinder heads on ebay, i have just done turbo as my one was dead when i bought it (another rip-off), the difference between a working one and a duff one is considerable. Be wary of trying to extract more power, these are old lumps and built for slogging not thrashing, especially when pulling 2 tons of car along, i have read some pretty bad things.

Good luck

Be warned their are lots os carp *new* heads out their, saw one last month from eblag only fit for scrap, luckily he got his money back.

Just because its new and cheap does not mean its any good, better spending the extra folding stuff and getting one from Turners IMHO.

Regards

Keith

here is my progress on the engine iv cleaned the inlet manifold the intercooler and rad and my new manifold has arrived :D sorry about the bad quality of pic it my phone camera

IMG_0446.jpg

cleaned inlet manifold

IMG_0449.jpg

cleaned intercooler which im planning to install a electronic map sensor

IMG_0450.jpg

i have read quite a few post where people say that the factory intercooler isnt large enough and have upgraded to a larger intercooler, after doing some looking at my cylinder head i think i found an option that will save me buying a bigger one

IMG_0445.jpg

old dead turbo

IMG_0451.jpg

old turbo and inlet manifold on old head

IMG_0452.jpg

the gap between the inlet and turbo is around 3mm think and the exhaust heat is transfered towards the inlet manifold causing a hot inlet and hotter air

my new hs2.8 (2.8TGV)manifold below

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

inlet and manifold on head

IMG_0453.jpg

gap between inlet and manifold as you can see it larger

IMG_0454.jpg

im still going to wrap the exhaust with heat wrap to keep the hear away from the inlet

IMG_0455.jpg

im also going to powder coat the inlet and add a heat reflective layer on the bottom.

also do you think this is a good head to buy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-300TDI-PORTED-PERFORMANCE-CYLINDER-HEAD-/180534901688?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a08b7fbb8#ht_690wt_940

personally i'd go for a tubular manifold, get it up out the way and away from the inlet

i agree with you but this was an unexpected problem and im a VW/AUDI person so im learning and going, any better suggestions on where i can get a better manifold would be welcome

i also enjoy my wiring and was thinking of uprading my disco to edc :P with the main diffrence that i want to use a edc 15 or 16 from a VW :P

Please don't think I am poo poo ing your attempts at improving the TDi, but doesn't it seem like a lot of expense and effort for something which may go from mediocre performance to about average. If you drove it with a duff turbo and cracked head I think you would be plesantly surprised by the imrpovement in 'performance' that a functioning engine will give

Please don't think I am poo poo ing your attempts at improving the TDi, but doesn't it seem like a lot of expense and effort for something which may go from mediocre performance to about average. If you drove it with a duff turbo and cracked head I think you would be plesantly surprised by the imrpovement in 'performance' that a functioning engine will give

hi me and my friend use to have a 300tdi and it was great :) the reason for me getting one myself :) to be honest i just wanted a car that i could drive i wasnt planning of doing any work on it

but what happens happens so while i have it in bit, ill try do what i can to make it run better :) and some simple stuff will hopefully improve the car, im not expecting alot out of the car but what i can get will make me happy :D too bad it all cost money :(

cool i post on E38 as i'm a vw fan aswell!

get the tgv manifold ceramc coated?

i got a 300 disco for sale with edc?! rather have a mech pump.

its been a while since i posted on a vag forum, as i brought the discovery to help my finish my mk1 convertable and mk3 golf :S

i dont mind getting it ceramc coating on the manifold if you know a good place in london :)

im not looking for an auto disco lol if your willing to remove and swap all the bits im happy with that and ill put some money on top :) iv been looking into it and both engine harness should be a plug and play swap, my only problem with the conversion is that im still trying to figure out the crank sensor, although it would work of the needle lift it will have reduced efficency

Personally I would avoid the heat wrap as I've read of people finding it catching fire after getting soaked with oil or fuel.

anything soaked in fuel on it tends to burns lol :) even my cement floor and iv had that happen :)

fibreglass doesnt burn lol if you ever burned a fibreglass bumper it goes with massive flames but thats only the glue and your left with just the fiberglass

thanks for the advice i will keep it in mind :)

used the fibreglass wrapping when I was a mechanic for a race team and it used to melt into glass around the manifolds, that was on a 6.6 litre chevy engine so I imagine the TDi will be a bit cooler - i would have thought a separate heat shield could have more effect as the wrapping will eventually match the exhaust temp. and convect the heat as before.

Also if it ever comes undone you end up with shards of fibreglass matt all over your engine bay

hi thanks :) this was the wrap i brought http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Exhaust-Wrap-/Magma-Wrap--/p-105-408/ it seemed quite good im trying to find a good ceremic coating company close to london :)

also iv seen the new style 300tdi head and multi layer head gasket but not sure if its worth it been hearing diffent views on it and ideas ??