which brake discs?

My Paddocks vented and drilled ones (solid to VIN KA) are now warped... only fitted them last year so looking for a better lasting alternative. Paddocks is listing both Mintex and AP Lockheed solid ones @ 15,95 ex VAT... any feedback on the brands / discs?

Cheers

Marco

Mintex & AP Lockheed are very wel known & the companies have been around for over 20years, so either would be a good buy.

Thanks, I actually did guess the same but also wonder if there should be any differences between the two brands/discs.

I've used Mintex brake stuff for all mine and they always seem fine.

If your vehicle has vented disc type calipers you'll need to use vented discs, but I would reccomend just 'normal' vented ones, not cross-drilled/grooved fancy things.

Otherwise, all 90/110 front solid discs are the same (post 1990/1991 ish.) Part no FRC7329.

I've used Mintex brake stuff for all mine and they always seem fine.

If your vehicle has vented disc type calipers you'll need to use vented discs, but I would reccomend just 'normal' vented ones, not cross-drilled/grooved fancy things.

Otherwise, all 90/110 front solid discs are the same (post 1990/1991 ish.) Part no FRC7329.

I did "upgrade" to the Paddock drilled ones but will refit standard solid one and use the 'fancy' ones as flower pots?? Suggestions for re-use welcome (haha)

AP Lockheed are OEM. Your warped discs are probably Britpart, which have a reputation for warping and, of course, are Paddock's primary supplier.

Thanks, in the meantime I did buy the Mintex ones... arrived today. I might get another set, maybe AP as I do have the same vented 'performance' BP parts at the back.

AP Lockheed are OEM. Your warped discs are probably Britpart, which have a reputation for warping and, of course, are Paddock's primary supplier.

Jeez, you could have said a little sooner, I just recived some BP solid discs yesterday... I didn't think I could go wrong with discs, as long as they fit there's not a lot more you can get wrong with them!

So you're saying they're like the chocolate money you get in xmas stocking, or an Amadillo... crutchy on the ouside, soft on the inside.....

I have had solid Britpart discs on my 90 for the last 2 years (front) and 6 months (rear) and they are fine- however I don't have Britpart pads!

Didn't know they had a reputation of warping though? Mine have been through some pretty hard stops with no probs, and done a bit of towing here and there too - all totally fine.

Considering a proper Mintex or Lockheed disc only costs a fiver more than a Britpart disc from Paddocks, I think there's no excuse :P

Wouldn't change them for the sake of it though, only if they develop problems :)

Exactly. If your BP ones are OK, then there's no reason to change them. But I'd recommend Lockheed or EBC next time for peace of mind and known reliability.

To be fair, I'm highly sceptical about Britpart and have been one of their loudest critics, but they are supposed to be trying to improve their quality across the board, being well aware of the level of criticism they get on forums like this. Some of their bad lines have reportedly already been improved, and brake discs may be one of them. Let's hope they do turn it around.

but they are supposed to be trying to improve their quality across the board, being well aware of the level of criticism they get on forums like this. Some of their bad lines have reportedly already been improved, and brake discs may be one of them. Let's hope they do turn it around.

Who'd you hear this from? I've written them a letter and heard nothing from them?? unfortunatly to me that does not fill me with any kind of confidance of them improving there quality? as an engineer by proffesion, it drives me up the wall the lunacy of the General managment and managment of the QA of that company.

Appologies for the rant.

Hi All,

I have been having problems with squealing brakes.

I have Britpart discs and lockheed pads. I have tried various pads (lockheed and ebc) and it did not improve. I have also tried lots of the normal tricks.

Now I am not saying it is the britpart discs, but before I fitted them I had no issues.

I am hoping this weekend to get some mintex pads and discs fitted. I hope these will improve the situation. If it does after a few weeks. I will probably be putting it down to the britpart discs.

In which case I will then be deciding if I want to follow up with Britpart.

So i'll let you know.

Dan

• 7 years later...

It is HIGHLY unlikely the discs are warped. This is one of those myths. The only thing warped will be the diagnosis. Like the one about that big-bore exhaust, "It gives more power, see?" and stickers to make cars go faster. Sometimes discs crack. Drilled discs on a Land rover? Don't make me laugh. See them, and mark the  IQ of the owner accordingly.

Edited by Martin Cooper