Engine oil capacity

hmmm strange! Mine did a similar strange thing... not driven for about 2 weeks so oil completely settled. Dipped it and was below the minimum. Topped it up. Gave it a few days to settle down. Dipped again, and just on the Max mark. Dipped it before billing (again after being settled for a good while) and it was half the min/max distance over the max mark! :unsure: Ah well it will all drip out soon enough :lol:

Yeah it's weird I remember the day before I drain it completely then I put 4 litre and it was on max which I thought was wrong but my oil light on the dash haven't cone on or anything like that. The manual don't state the capacity!

Thanks i thought it was 6 litre as well but put 5 litre yesterday and it's on high level!!

My 200tdi was similar when I changed the oil.

When you drain it, it won't drain completely out of all the oil galleries.

When you refill it, the oil filter doesn't fill until you run the engine, hence the oil pressure light staying on for longer the first time. (I assume you don't have an oil cooler as it's a TD?)

Best run it up to temperature, switch off and allow to settle and re-check. Then just keep an eye on the level over the following few days.

Yeah no oil cooler. That's what I've been doing this morning I've check it before work and it's on max level but there's only bout 4.5 litre as far as I know I've put in.

Sounds a bit low to me.

Do you have the correct dipstick and check the dipstick tube has not moved down into the sump.

Check the level about five minutes after a run, so the oil is warm (expanded) but has had time to return to the sump. If you find the level rising without adding oil, suspect a ruptured diaphragm on the lift pump dropping fuel into the sump.

Check the level about five minutes after a run, so the oil is warm (expanded) but has had time to return to the sump. If you find the level rising without adding oil, suspect a ruptured diaphragm on the lift pump dropping fuel into the sump.

I was going to say that, but it sounds like the level varies, sometime high, normal or low. Surely it would just continue to go up if it was a ruptured diaphragm and that would depend on the running time...

When you refill it, the oil filter doesn't fill until you run the engine, hence the oil pressure light staying on for longer the first time. (I assume you don't have an oil cooler as it's a TD?)

Its good practice to fill the oil filter with oil before fitting. I dont particularly like the idea of running the engine with no oil, and it can take a good few seconds for the pump to manage to fill the filter and actually start proving pressure, and i'm sure the engine doesnt like that much either. Priming the filter with oil means it gets pressure instantly, costs nothing and only takes a few seconds.

Could also turn the engine over with the fuel solenoid disconneted until the oil presuure light goes out, then reconnect fuel solenoid. That way you aren't subjecting the engine to combustion loads without oil in the right places.

Just a thought.

D.

Sounds like your dip stick has moved and now is showing an incorrect reading. This is a known issue with the 200tdi, not sure if other engines suffer. The dip stick is held at the correct height and if this loosens it slides into or out of the block thus changing its data point and hence gives an incorrect reading. If you search on the forum you will find the post that lets you know how to measure the dip stick sleeve to find out if you are suffering