new tyre problems

lawrence

i just put on a new set of tyres last night and they seem to catch at the back of the front wheel arch (near the doors) does any one have a picture of how they have trimmed this area. Apart from hack at the car till they fit i'm out of ideas. The tyres are 235/85/16 insa special track. if that helps.

I had borrowed a set to 'try on', and found they catch the front of the rear wheel arch when under migh compression, i.e. one wheel up, one wheel down. I think the very chunky and square edge is the problem on these tyres as a friend had Insa Saharas and no such problems.

i just put on a new set of tyres last night and they seem to catch at the back of the front wheel arch (near the doors) does any one have a picture of how they have trimmed this area. Apart from hack at the car till they fit i'm out of ideas. The tyres are 235/85/16 insa special track. if that helps.

hello mate,

have you lifted your disco? does this not help? also do you have the 'wheelarch spats' aound your arches, you know those factory stuck on things. only ask cuz thats the same size and make i've got on mine and they fitted no probs at all after i cut the rear quarter panel. insa remoulds are always a bit bigger than anyother of the same size, its cuz they are remoulds and use a complete carcass from another tyre before the add their own. let me know how you get on mate.

It's been lifted be 2", I've talked to other disco owners who are running the same and they don't seem to have a problem. So i am now wondering if the suspension is sagging a bit, as i bought the car already lifted. i have no datails of how old the suspension is. I got the rear tyres to fit okay, no cutting needed. the front fit but had to be trimmed as they court on full lock. the rears now seem to catch an any sort of acticulation, but i will look into this tonight and just cut as needed, as i am greenlaning on saturday so need the tyres to fit.

I'd be really interested to know your final result, perhaps with pictures?! I found the front of the rear wheelarch fouled with a 1" lift (spacer) and HD springs on top. You might be OK with 2" of proper lift and the trimming.

got the tyres fitted, Had to trim the rear arch just a bit only took about 2 inch off the rear of the arch and cut the silly plasic thing fron the other side, a articulation test showed no touching on any of the wheels, so well pleased. i'll post pictures later in the week, but i've now seen a few disc's trimmed how i did it so it must be quite a common place to trim.