Has it really come to this?

As well as providing unmatched protection, the D44 diff pans will make your axles look ultra-cool in their red livery with D44 logo.

OK, I know this is going to start a massive argument but this really does take the biscuit:

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p1719c261/0/d44-heavy-duty-diff-pan-for-rover-axles.html

I don't really care how ultimate and extreme it is, or the fact that they want £180 for a diff cover, but when they can write this with a straight face I'm afraid the biscuit really has been taken.

To be honest I think they do look cool!

They are heavy duty ally castings, they come with a weld on heavy duty flange so they strengthen the axle banjo a lot, and you can get very easy access to your diff if you ever need to in the field!

The only bad bit is the colour! and I think 180 is a reasonable price. Could you retail the same product cheaper?

Come on, if they were called "X" covers etc you would all be smegging over them! :P:D:D:D

Lara

just my opinion but to be honest i keep seeing there stuff going up and up in price, I do think £180 is way over the top but you can never knock the quaity of there stuff its top notch but top money. it must have an impact on their sale records.

Yee gods :rofl:

£180 quid ?

I always think along the lines that those who buy these are going to attract the attention of some serious

"Rib Tickling" and "Meriment" from those who have to expain to them the sheer insanity and daftness of what

they have done and where the money could have been better spent / or saved.

Personally I think they look' OK' but the price is in the land of :rofl: , but, they prob cost a fair bit to manufactuer,

....having said that so did the titanic, that also was "Le Ballon de Chien" - but it also proved in use that

it wasn't as fabbydoos and as bling n wickid' as the blurb surrounding it :)

I'll stick with me F70 welded on Pans for F A £s and 6mm thick joyusness and undentywonderousness :)

Nige

Come on, if they were called "X" covers etc you would all be smegging over them! :P:D:D:D

That's not very fair! To Fridge or me!

I quite like the look of them - but on the whole I'm unconvinced about the need for diff covers at all - guess I'm just not 'extreme' enough to understand.

Irrespective of whether they are worthwhile - to make something like that is going to cost somewhere in that ballpark for the kind of (low) volumes involved.

Si

That's not very fair! To Fridge or me!

I quite like the look of them - but on the whole I'm unconvinced about the need for diff covers at all - guess I'm just not 'extreme' enough to understand.

Irrespective of whether they are worthwhile - to make something like that is going to cost somewhere in that ballpark for the kind of (low) volumes involved.

Si

Hi Simon,

I whole heartedly apologize if you took offense to what I said, It was not meant in any way to criticize you or your very good products, please do not take it as a slur on you or Fridge for that matter, it was just a general comment about the general forum mood. You have created a following and that is truly fantastic for you and down to good marketing, be that on purpose or accidental. Fair play to you! But you do seem to get your bum cleaned rather well on here if you excuse my saying so in the most respectful way :lol: (And I do mean respectful)

I think Mr headhunter has just proved it for me too :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Very best regards to both you "Simon" and Fridge,

Julian (Lara)

PS.

They are almost Orange! Maybe they should have been Yellow :P

Diff covers in my opinion are one of the things that are quite important if you want to do any off roading in rocky sections and expect to be driving hard! If you accept body damage as par for the course when "eventing" you will probably be in the kind of event where a little throttle will not be rare, a rock can so easily wreck a standard diff cover and spoil your day or week etc!! Mine was as battered as hell before I changed mine! In the heat of battle care is not always on the forefront of your thoughts!

Lara

..........so technically speaking which is stronger 'in battle' against rock impact , cast alumininium or welded convex 8mm steel pipe cap ?

Hmmmmmmm let me think about that ....

Bling is bling no matter how its dressed ;)

Steveb

Hi Steve,

I personally have 6mm Inox pipe caps on mine and quite cheaply. So do know where the argument is coming from.

However, I can't un bolt mine to service the diff etc either. VERY useful in the field!!! and believe me I would pay a lot for that in the middle of a wood somewhere in the middle of nowhere trying to replace a halfshaft with a heavily stuck broken end in my diff!!!

Ultimately against heavy impact you are right, but the D44 one is an extremely good product in my view, especially due to the design and material used. It will take a BIG rock to split it! that I can assure you ;)

And remember that the standard LR cover is 1.5mm mild!!!

THE BEST FOR EVERYONE? Surely not though ;)

But we do need to look at these products objectively and not just dismiss or accept them without thought!

Lara

I think they look pretty funky, and at 155 pounds, for a casting which then has to be final machined plus a thick steel plate wich has to be drilled and tapped is pennys imo. they wont go on my truck, but I bet they are selling well.

daan

Hi Simon,

I whole heartedly apologize if you took offense to what I said, It was not meant in any way to criticize you or your very good products, please do not take it as a slur on you or Fridge for that matter, it was just a general comment about the general forum mood. You have created a following and that is truly fantastic for you and down to good marketing, be that on purpose or accidental. Fair play to you! But you do seem to get your bum cleaned rather well on here if you excuse my saying so in the most respectful way :lol: (And I do mean respectful)

I think Mr headhunter has just proved it for me too :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Very best regards to both you "Simon" and Fridge,

Julian (Lara)imo you upset the forum hierachy at your peril,some of them will undoubtably go straight to heaven,some will be nominated in the new years honours list,some of them are down right nasty!!

PS.

They are almost Orange! Maybe they should have been Yellow :P

Julian (Lara)imo you upset the forum hierachy at your peril,some of them will undoubtably go straight to heaven,some will be nominated in the new years honours list,some of them are down right nasty!!

PS.

They are almost Orange! Maybe they should have been Yellow

Forum hierarchy? If you perceive that there is a problem then please feel free to drop me a line.

on the whole I'm unconvinced about the need for diff covers at all - guess I'm just not 'extreme' enough to understand.

+1 - I just look where I'm going (which is free), and have a cheap diff protector for when I miss something ;)

I may have missed it, but it seems like no-one has noticed the blatant copy of the diff guard that arb has been offering for some time. First google result .

You'd have thought they might make them green or yellow to make it a little less obvious and more inkeeping with their usual colour scheme.

They may be particularly useful, but if they were black might be a better choice of colour. Still every hobby will have the gear queers who have to have the shinest, brightest pieces.

Indeedy

And we have done some careful calibrated & highly monitored testing too :D

his involves a Big Boy PotNoodle to get in the mood, and Steves BFH No 1 and a "bad day"

Then the testing can begin :D :

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae303/Kam-Diffs-UK/?action=view&current=21042010002.flv

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae303/Kam-Diffs-UK/?action=view&current=21042010001.flv

At the end of this the Pan is in remarkable condition, obvioulsy it will be cleaned before being sent to a customer :rofl:

Nige