Immobilser?

mahon257

The problem: Can't start the car!

The Car: 1996 300TDI Disco

The symptoms:

• Can't start the car!
  • Alarm not functioning
  • Central Locking is dead (either by using the 2 button key fob "plipper", or by manually pushing down the inside lock on the drivers door).
  • When turn ignition key to "start" position - engine oil light comes on (as normal), but NO key symbol shown for immobiliser - suggesting immobilser is NOT activated
  • Starter motor does not turn
  • The Plipper has no effect - does not enable/disable alarm, does not operate central locking

Other information:

• Main starter Battery is healthy
  • I have tested the main plipper + test a spare plipper which I know works (on my spare keys)
  • I can lock the doors manually with a key, but cannot start the car at all.

I've read up on the "Spider" issue - but that seems to mainly affect the Immobilser only? I have no central locking, no alarm, and can't start the car. Not sure if the fuel pump is working.... can never hear it anyway!

Help!

I had a problem with my car not starting a while back, mine is a 1995 300tdi. Not quite the same as yours as my alarm would go off. I had to manually reset the immobiliser. In the manual there is a section about tunring the key certain number of times a certain way like you would a save lock. Each code is seperate to each vehicle, and the keycard should be in the manual. i tried that and it worked first time. Never had a problem after that. although i did also change both batteries in the key fobs.

I had a problem with my car not starting a while back, mine is a 1995 300tdi. Not quite the same as yours as my alarm would go off. I had to manually reset the immobiliser. In the manual there is a section about tunring the key certain number of times a certain way like you would a save lock. Each code is seperate to each vehicle, and the keycard should be in the manual. i tried that and it worked first time. Never had a problem after that. although i did also change both batteries in the key fobs.

Thanks for the advice - I know exactly what you mean - I'll give that a go... (hopefully the combination will be in my handbook!).

My next idea was to start pulling / checking fuses...

Since my last post, I've also bought the Spider bypass kit (AMR4956) which cost about £9 - but I think my issue is something else.. we'll see!

I think the spider is related...my alarm kept going off for no reason....wouldn't start but turned over....it was last week...stripped out the spider and numerous dry and broken joints...if it is, you can just re solder and everything should work..check fuses first but its a fair bet....

I've now discovered the Central Locking is controlled by the 10AS (Alarm ECU). I suspect the Spider and Alarm ECU are normally "in conversation" - given that I have no central locking, alarm, plip, immobilser functionality - it's clearly more involved that just the Spider unit.

Time for an eBay search for Alarm ECU's!

Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went back to basics... Checked Fuses. In the main fusebox, under the steering wheel, "Satellite, position 1" is the Alarm Fuse.

I checked it.. It was blown.

So, reading the manual, it says "15 amps". Bunged a 15 amp fuses in, then FIRE!!!!!!! from under the bonnet (well, "smoke" that that's not as exciting :huh:)

As you can imagine, a certain amount of panic set in! Anyhoo, lifted the bonnet, found the cause of the smoke! "AMR4974", "Siren BBUS", a.k.a. Alarm Siren. WTF?! I know this unit has a backup battery in it... a speaker, and presumubably some electrikery bits, but, setting fire? Jeez, that's pants.

So, I've removed the BBUS (unplugged it), rechecked fuses - all ok. Can now start the car. Mystery solved - well, sort of.

Anyone heard of these things "going off" before? I checked around a few forums - perhaps my car is just "a bit special".

Fun and games...