Quickest way to remove 3rd member?

So, what's the absolute minimum needed to remove the front 3rd member to replace pinion bearing/seal? Is it reasonable to just unbolt the swivels from the axle casing to get the half-shafts to clear the diff? or is this going to make it too difficult to re-assemble? While on the subject, does anyone have the Timken part number for the front pinion bearing (and might as well do the others at the same time I guess) the 3rd member is from a 1992 110.

As above- the quickest way is to unbolt the whole swivels from the end of the axle- should be able to withdraw them far enough to pull the diff out without disconnecting brake lines etc.

There is a fair amount of unecessary work to be done if you strip the whole lot and pull the stub shafts off- that is unless they could do with being stripped, cleaned and regreased anyway?!

Si

Si, no I just assembled things and it's all fresh except the bits in the third member (which is the big chunk of metal that holds the differential, R&P etc) I just had a bit of an 'incident' where the 'stock' bolts for the propshaft were too long, they cleared the mud-guard fine when testing things but the bearing must have already been worn since when it was put under load things shifted enough to cause them to grind up against it, causing a lot of heat, and the ensuing failure.

Anyone know if I should be able to pull the unit from a 1993 and drop it into a 1992 or will the diff-end spline count be different? (I've got a 1993 90 sitting here awaiting restoration and I'm supposed to get the 110 to paint tomorrow....).

I would have just taken the swivels too, but they're in terrible shape. If even the diff fits and is in 'OK' shape that'll let me get things over to the paint shop on schedule which would be nice.

Sigh, looks like it's more than just the bearings. The pinion gear looks like it's been chewed on, the ring looks fine though.

Does anyone know the Timken part number for the bearing? If I can find it I should be able to source one locally tomorrow and hopefully have this fixed by tomorrow evening.

Well, the inner bearing seems fine if slightly worn, but the outer one only the cup was intact (and pretty scored) the bearing seat was melted too badly to pull a part number from it so if anyone has one that is not yet fitted and could get the Timken part number from it I can then actually source one locally, then I just need a pinion.

Yes, sorry... I'd just assumed that because it was a LR document it would be using LR part numbers and it never occurred to me that they might be the timken ones. Much appreciated, I managed to get everything back together and it setup almost perfectly despite breaking a couple 'rules' along the way so now the 110 is off at the body/paint shop and I'm hoping to have it back here by Friday.

Again, thanks for all the help!