Brake master cyclinder

I'm just looking at a set of 110 front callipers for my 90 (they seem to go for cheaper £££ on ebay) now as I understand it the only thing different from 90 parts are they are of a bigger caliper piston diameter so a greater volume of moving fluid...? So I thought I would have to change the master cylinder to match, well I just looked up the part number for the one thats fitted presently, its STC441, this is the one with 3 ports, 2 up front one for rear. According to the parts catalogues for 90's and 110's, they use the same model master cylinder? both show STC441 from VIN HA901220, from this I'm guessing I won’t have a problem running 110 callipers? Anyone like to advise?

Cheers

Mav

they rationalised the piston sizes at the same time they rationalised the master cylinder,

So presumably from HA901... both 110's and 90's have the same 46mm pistons, and the same master cylinder. If you've already got the later cylinder, then you'll most likely already have 46mm piston calipers too.

The only difference on later vehicles is 110's have vented fronts, and 90's have solid ones, so if your buying 110 calipers, you may need to fit vented disks too.

they rationalised the piston sizes at the same time they rationalised the master cylinder,

So presumably from HA901... both 110's and 90's have the same 46mm pistons, and the same master cylinder. If you've already got the later cylinder, then you'll most likely already have 46mm piston calipers too.

The only difference on later vehicles is 110's have vented fronts, and 90's have solid ones, so if your buying 110 calipers, you may need to fit vented disks too.

Unfortunatly with my "special" machine nothing can be assumed. the Calipers I just whipped off are old 41.2mm ones with solid discs. - nice and handy though, I can try pick up some 46mm calipers now. it totally baffles me as to why they should be cheaper then "90" parts.

I was coming to the conclusion that they must have standardised them, good to have the conformation.

The part numbers in microcat are pretty confusing actually.

It seems they normalised the calipers at LA, ie 1994, at the same time they introduced the 300TDi and disk rear brakes.

However theres an odd gap, theres a caliper listed for the 90 upto HA701009 but nothing to fill the gap between that cutoff, and the start of the normalised caliper at LA.