Additional switches and gauges

sutty_32

I currently have a cb radio, boost gauge, 2 aux light switches and one for the sub, however looking at installing twin batteries (with voltmeters) and perhaps on board air (with pressure gauge) and maybe even an inverter. So there would be 4 gauges and 6/7 switches.

Wondering how other people have mounted their additional stuff. I want to keep it all tidy. I like the idea of making a mud console fit somehow? I'm sure i've seen it on here before and wondered how hard it in. Or has anybody seen A pilar mounts for gauges? have some blank switches in the dash, but not enough for everything so can't just use the standard LR switches (although it does look nice)

Looking for smart solutions you guys have come up with so I can steal :ph34r:

Thanks in advance!

hi mate sounds like your going abit over the top with the gauges and switches. how are you planning to connect the twin battries you wont need two voltage gauges also do you have a disco 1 or 2 (200 ,300tdi, td5) and do you have the factory radio ?

where are you planing to mount the air compresser and inverter and how often do you think you will using them ?

and last question is how often do you use you cb radio ?

sorry for the annoying amount of questions but it the best way to figure the way you should wire up every thing and amount of switchs you will need and where you can have them

Have you thought about a roof mounted option? would look quite tidy in a discovery I think.

Also with the voltmeters, do what I have done, put a 2 way switch on the feed to the voltmeter so you can switch between the batteries. Saves needing a second gauge, cheaper too :P

My dash is starting to become a bit too full, my own personal puzzle lol

A Mud pod in a discovery - from Mud's web site:

Petedisco.jpg

That was mine smile.gif. Didn't realise it was still on the mud site.

It was dead easy to fit, although you do need to drill a fairly large hole through the dash to allow the wiring to get to the pod. In addition you will need to drill to small holes to mount the fixing plate. I pulled the centre of the dash (the bit with the stereo and heater controls) out to fit it but you could probably do it just by removing the stereo. This was in a 300TDI.

Pete.

hi mate sounds like your going abit over the top with the gauges and switches. how are you planning to connect the twin battries you wont need two voltage gauges also do you have a disco 1 or 2 (200 ,300tdi, td5) and do you have the factory radio ?

where are you planing to mount the air compresser and inverter and how often do you think you will using them ?

and last question is how often do you use you cb radio ?

sorry for the annoying amount of questions but it the best way to figure the way you should wire up every thing and amount of switchs you will need and where you can have them

Hi,

Well I already have the boost gauge, and would like to know the voltage of both batteries just to check. Was going for a voltage sensitive relay like x-eng sell. I like your idea Adam of having them switched. The air pressure gauge could also be mounted near the tank as I won't be driving when in use. The sub power switch is there so when I take the sub out the boot I don't have live wires there. Its a 300tdi, not the factory radio but a fairly standard cd player.

The air compressor was going to be an air-con pump. A mate is taking off his challenge truck so I thought as its cheap. I think an air line in the boot with the tank where the 6th/7th seats go. Was thinking of an old CO2 fire extinguisher. As for use, probably not as often as its worth the effort like most of these things :P .The inverter will be handy for weekends away and running tools off when the landys inevitable break down, but i'm undecided about in the boot or most likely around the centre cubby box. The CB is used on off roading trips once a month / 3 weeks, so quite often. The switches will be 2 for aux lights, one for sub, one for winch isolator (using an old winch solenoid) and perhaps a winch in/out. One for the air compressor and perhaps one as adam suggested for the voltmeter.

I agree that the best way it to look at how often your going to use it and the most common things easy/close.

Thanks for all your replies!

i can suggest as you have a big inverter to run tools chances are it should fit under the front driver or passanger side seat, iv seen the engine run air compressor it looked quite good but at £735 it was out of my budget :( one again if you can find the right size and shape tank you can fit it under the front seats but make sure that you have a hi pressure relief valve (VERY VERY IMPORTANT)

if you going for a pure factory look, as you dont have the factory radio then the switches for the radio on the dash arnt doing anything so you can add these from a discovery 2 :)

post-25122-128109673025_thumb.jpg

post-25122-128109676482_thumb.jpg

as you probilly have a switch panel below the clock with no switchs then you can change it from a two to three button one as add more switches

post-25122-128109709106_thumb.jpg

post-25122-12810976663_thumb.jpg

and if you still need more you can get the switches from a discovery two or range rover to add more

post-25122-128109903394_thumb.jpg

sorry couldnt find a better pic

as for the wiring you will be requiring a few relays and plugs, and for the voltage gauge if you use a dpdp switch you can flip between batteries :) but as they charge from the same source when the split charge relay is on battery 1 voltage will be same as battery 2 :)

Thanks for the replies.

I was going to mount the second battery in the front LH corner under the bonnet, best place in a disco, especially as the winch will be running off it. I really like the look of those switched Mayur, I think I will put the aux lights on there and have the rest on carling switches in the mud console so I can the correct labels :) It also means I can put dpdp switches in. I want the voltmeter on the second battery so I can see the voltage when the engine isn't running and see how flat its getting!

Yeah I think I'll have a domestic extension cable so I can put the power to the boot. I was thinking under the front seats for the inverter too.

Defiantly putting a pressure relief valve on the air system too.

Any chance of a part number for those aux light switches from the disco 2? They look really good.

What was the roof mounted option you mentioned Adam? As long as its not like the modifying a disco book by Haynes which said "we had this made by a local fabrication firm, isn't it great" :P

I honestly have no idea on the roof one...can't be that hard can it? :unsure::P

Oh if you are running the winch off the auxilary battery make sure you are using a proper split charge, not the usual one that everyone buys ;) Or wire it so you can disable it on large winching jobs.

The x-charge system is more than up to the task of a standard winch on the likes of a disco - I ran one for several years - and am still running one on my defender. The issues have arrisen where people are running multiple winches possibly with multiple motors on each winch.

hth

Mark

My advise is don't get that 'kit'. You can make a much much much better one that will actually do the job without the risk for much less :)

Also the battery is going the other side of the engine bay, so I assume the x-charge wouldn't reach?

Do this instead...

Get some 35mm2 cable and 35mm2 ring terminals

As for the relay for winching nothing less than a solenoid/contactor will do the job (ideally 2), the little feable relays that come in these kits are not suitable for winching (not to mention you can get them for £10 on ebay! says alot about their quality lol)

this is a 'x-charge' relay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/180-100A-12V-Split-Charge-Relay-100-AMP-12-V-180-kit-/270612594002?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f01c47d52

then compare it to something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-New-Winch-Motor-Solenoids-12V-OK-Superwinch-Etc-/400141042042?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2a43c17a

Notice how the much much bigger contactors have a lower current rating? that's because they actually tell the truth :P

Unfortunately as you are winching off the second battery you don't have many options as you need the alternator, so will just need to make sure the split charge is up to it (without burning you alive :P)

I wasn't going to buy the kit, just the relay and make up the rest. But yeah if i can find a relay thats cheaper and still up to the job I'll get that!

Personally I would go for the solenoids if you don't mind the extra £10, if not just wire in a disable switch.

I really should of taken a picture of my melted nagares relay...Doh!

• 3 months later...

The gauge shown came from McNally Electronics in the states.

http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/boost_psi_egt.htm

When I got it they were only about £50 because of the exchange rate. I priced one for my other car the other week and with shipping it came to about £300.

Very nice gauge and they now come in other colours.

Pete.