Stub Axle Mudshields/Locking Plates

It would seem that on early front axles, and later rear axles, the parts books show things that are called 'locking rings' and 'mud shields'.

Part numbers FTC1378 as per this:

FTC1378.png

And FRC2310 as per this:

FRC2310-MUDSHIELD-LOCK-PLATE-STUB.jpg

So, what do they do? Are they like the brake disc mud shields in that they are largely useless and seem to trap mud more than 'shield it'?

Or are they a critical locking method which means my wheels are going to fall off because I have left them out?

As far as I can see the second one (which is the one I've come across) is literally just a bit of thin plate, slightly larger in overall diameter than the stub axle, with some holes in it. It seems to serve no function at all, certainly not a 'locking' function :huh:

Anybody care to enlighten me? :P

don't rely on some of LR's parts descriptions.

the mudshield does the same job as the diff pinion seal mudshield -- keeps crud away from the hub inner seals. fits on the hub side of the stub axle & secured by the stub axle bolts as far as I can find in RAVE.

the locking ring looks more like a shim rather than a locking device.

in RAVE rear axle description for a 300tdi it shows the locking plate between the hub & driving member & says --- hub lock plate, thrust washer & nuts

I'll leave you to figure that out :P

Ye its a "carp" shield as far as i can tell

Its a very snug fit inside the hub, which its intended to stop stones/mud/other similar carp getting into the rear oil seals/bearings.

I suspect oozy mud would find its way past though, then end up stuck inside.

FWIW i will be leaving my brake shields off, but i did fit the mudshield you mention when i rebuild the front axle, mainly because i wasnt sure what it was for, so ordered them up anyway. It is just a thin bit of plate, so i cant see a huge issue if you left them off.

So long as you loctited the bolts holding the stub axles on, it should all be fine.

The only ones I've seen are the big flat ones, second photo above. Doesn't fit inside the hub, just sort of covers the back of it a bit. But the stub axle itself does most of that work...

I've left them off anyway, all the bolts are Loctited and done up to the correct torque as ever :)

i found mine were a tight fit, although thinking about it, its the disk they're a snug fit onto.

When i first started rebuilding the truck, i temporarily nailed the axles onto the chassis so i could roll it around. I couldnt move it, thaught it was the brakes at first, but it wasnt and upon stripping the hubs down to find out what was going on i discovered the mudshields had nicely rusted themselves into inside of the brakedisk. Lots of hammering to knock the big clods of rust out the inside of the brake disk and it then rolled properly.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding rear hubs and brakes, re those locking rings I had exactly the same question. They just seem to be another way of putting washers under the bolts holding the stub axle on - mine were under the heads of those bolts. The stub axle had corroded rather under the rings where they trap mud between themselves and the stub axles. I can see no point to them - if they had some sort of flange to keep the mud from the hub then whether it was effective or not you could see what was intended, but they seem to be pointless. I think I'll take the weight saving..

Nigel