Propshaft and Rear Axle Parts

My 1987 90 V8 needs a new rear prop because the sliding joint has play in it.

A friend had an accident damaged 90 that looked ideal as a donor, so I acquired the rear prop, and decided to take the rear axle as well, so I could have disc brakes on the rear for a bit more confidence when towing. The body had already gone, so I have no idea of it's age, but it's newer than mine!

When I got the assembly home, it turns out that the rear prop on the donor was actually a front prop (FRC8390 stamped on it and out of phase UJ's).

I assume that it's not a good idea to fit that to my LR.

So if I was to get a replacement that is suitable, can I use any rear prop?

I see that for 90 V8s parts FRC8385 and FRC8393 are both listed - is there any difference?

It's also made me wonder whether the newer rear axle is ok for my car. I've read about the number of splines/diff pins etc, but my requirements are quite modest, so will either be strong enough for mostly road use and occasional 2 tonne trailer? I'll take a half shaft out to count the splines, but the flanges are thinner and look one piece on the new one. My current one has the rubber cap on the top and looks like the flange is separate to the shaft.

Cheers for any advice

Mike

If yours is an early Factory V8 Its worth checking your current diff isnt 4-pin which it may well be......If it is, its much stonger than the diff in the new axle which is 2 pin.

Otherwise the axle is a straight swap, Maybe worth rebuilding it before fitting it if you decide to use it.

I cant help with the props though im affraid. Other than new ones arent that spendy?

Dave.

Thanks for that... Could I swap the innards of the old diff into the new casing as part of the rebuild?

As for the prop, if I've understood the part catalogue, mine should be PRC 8385, but that's not as readily available as the newer FRC8393

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for that... Could I swap the innards of the old diff into the new casing as part of the rebuild?

As for the prop, if I've understood the part catalogue, mine should be PRC 8385, but that's not as readily available as the newer FRC8393

Cheers

Mike

LRSeries shows that prop as

PROPSHAFT REAR TD5

Part number: FRC8393

Applicable Models:

Defender 90" models vin LA935931 on

Product Description:

Rear propshaft assembly, fits V8 1985 on 300TDi and TD5 1995 on

see rear prop part numbers on page 477 too

Possibly It should be 24 spline if it is 4 pin anyway if it is just swap the diff unit into the new axle casing.

What you will might have to do is use the shafts out of the new axle with the fixed drive flanges. Your old ones may fit but it depends on the stub axles and hubs ect, best thing to do first is pull the shafts out of your old axle to see where you stand.

Dave.

typically, there are two prop lengths on 90's

Early trucks (upto 200tdi) use a 654mm front prop (FRC8390), and a 635mm rear (FRC8392).

Later ones (300tdi onwards) use a 610mm front (TVB100610), and a 683mm rear (FRC8393).

Having said that, factory V8's are a bit obscure.

Checking the parts catalog, its a bit unclear as there appears to be a cutoff on chassis number CA for the V8's. Chassis numbers after CA254407 seem to use the 300tdi shafts, however the earlier ones seem to use a different set of part numbers, the rear one being the FRC8385 you mention.

So check your chassis number first off, before ordering anything.

If its after CA254407 then you need a 300tdi type rear shaft, if its before you need the obscure one, but it'd be worth measureing yours before you order anything to check its length.

• 1 month later...

Some updated info...

I bought a prop from LR series. It was advertised as Hardy Spicer, but came in a Britpart bag. Of course it could still have been made by Hardy Spicer. Anyway, it fits, and hasn't broken yet!

The new (to me) axle is fitted with 10 spline half shafts. Are all the shafts the same length/diameter? I was wondering whether I could put the 24 spline diff and shafts from my old drum-braked axle into the disc braked one.

Finally, the mud shields around the discs were mangled at the scrap yard. Funnily enough, they can't take the weight of a car with the wheels removed! However, when I took them off, they were more like mud traps and so I'm thinking of not replacing them. Are the back brakes susceptible to mud? - there are no shields on the front discs.

Cheers for your comments

Mike

Don't know if the Britpart label had OEM in it - but I know what to look for now, thanks.

The old diff is a standard factory v8, so I thought was 24 spline - I'll take a half shaft out and have a look...

I'll be leaving the mudshields off then, thanks..

Mike

Had a look at the original drive shafts. Wasn't looking to get oil everywhere, so didn't remove the halfshaft all the way, but the outer end (under the rubber cap) has 24 splines and says HD on the end. it's also different to the disc axle since the bolts holding in the shaft are much bigger, and the half shaft isn't one piece with the hub centre.

So stick with drums, and the 24 spline - I'm not a big off roader - or swap for the discs and the 10 spline setup?

Cheers

Mike

Sorry for replying to my own comments...

I spilled a bit of oil and took out the halfshaft from the v8 axle....

Outer-ends:

img00053-20101006-2206.jpg

Inner-ends:

img00054-20101006-2206.jpg

Flange Bolts:

img00055-20101006-2207.jpg

The shafts seem to be the same length. The 24 spline is about 1.5mm thicker but goes through the 10 spline hub just fine. The 24 spline flange fits on the 10 spline hub too. So the only differences I can see are the bolt sizes.

Just re-use the 10 spine flange bolts and fit the 4 pin diff?

Cheers

Mike

There are metric and imperial hubs.

The drive flanges are slightly different sizes, meaning the bolt holes wont line up, and the centre bore is also slightly different, so before you go swapping diffs, try the drive flange in your hub to ensure it fits.

• 5 months later...