burrowed chassis under the VIN

ivanlrlukic

On some RRC I looked at chassis material is a bit "burrowed" (excuse me on my poor english) under the last 6 figures of VIN. First letters and figures rest on completely flat material. I wonder does it origin from workers punching last figures by hand at the end of production line or is it sign of tampering? The non-flattness of material can be felt wiping over with fore finger.

Regards, Ivan.

I presume you mean that the last numerals have been stamped in a place where the metal has been ground down, possibly to conceal a change to VIN number. The VIN number is also shown on a card below the windscreen in a rectangular cut out made in the screen interior trim. The VIN may have been changed because the chassis was damaged and a substitute second hand chassis or partial chassis welded on. I hope the following helps:

"The VIN number is on the outside of the right front chassis leg, the panel in the front windscreen and a the sticker on the front slam panel."

" The tamper resistant VIN in the front windscreen can only be changed by taking the windscreen out. "

The BECM also normally has a record of the VIN number as the P38 can communicate with the central Landrover records by some electronic system at main dealers, this informs dealerships about recall work which would have been carried out when the car was new. After I bought my first used P38 the main dealer matched the car with the factory records and they found several recalls which had not been done.

Numbers 12 to 17 are the vehicle production serial numbers. Below is the NAS version of how to read your VIN plate,

How To Read Your VIN Number

vin_example500.gif

Actually I am discussing RRC, which haven't VIN under the windshield (well at least ones that are in my price range :) ). At least two vehicles I looked at had such situation, I'm not sure "non-flatness of the chassis under the VIN" would be visible on a photo, but it could be felt under the fingers.

Idea of this topic is that any of you (curious enough with 10 min. time to waste) check its own VIN and report situation.

Regards, Ivan.

Actually I am discussing RRC, which haven't VIN under the windshield (well at least ones that are in my price range :) ). At least two vehicles I looked at had such situation, I'm not sure "non-flatness of the chassis under the VIN" would be visible on a photo, but it could be felt under the fingers.

Idea of this topic is that any of you (curious enough with 10 min. time to waste) check its own VIN and report situation.

Regards, Ivan.

Hello Ivan,

I'm a newbie on here (although I have owned 4 RRCs over the last 20 years) so I wouldn't want to post anything too controvertial. However, from your description, if you lived in the UK, I would advise you to be very wary of a car with the appearance of tampering to the chassis number unless there was a good story to explain it.

Living in Belgrade, as you do, I would guess that this is less of a problem.

Are you talking about cars that have been imported from other european countries?

By the way, none of my RRCs have had a chassis number on the chassis!!!

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris for your answer, here are a few notes regarding your comments:

Are you talking about cars that have been imported from other european countries?

I believe so. Usually current owner has some European vehicle ID in paper form, which expired after they imported it.

By the way, none of my RRCs have had a chassis number on the chassis!!!

It's a pity you cannot confirm/deny original problem, but thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...