Welding a salisbury diff ?

zim

Evening,

We're wanting to weld up a salisbury diff to lock it and were wondering if anyone could give us some tips as to how it's done :D

They're not that easy to "get into" compared to a normal diff..... :ph34r:

Cheers

Gordon

Sorry can't really help you with that, but I will say thats its like committing engineering murder, almost brought a tear to my eye... :ph34r:

Out of intrest, why would you want to weld it up?, - I would agree with you however, that yeah the bearings will wear at an accelerated rate if the alignment is out. From what I can think, bar machineing a purpose built locking piece, then there will be distrotion due to the welding heat. If you're clever with how you weld it i.e. try and balance out the welding area's as you do it, should minimise any huge distortion you might see.

I welded one diff a long time ago and jigged it in place with a large lathe just to be sure all would run true.

Not that this means much, as welding one side shrinks and does get things off balance no matter how careful.

Makes me shudder in disbelief now how evil the idea was for a locked diff.

Phil...

Sorry can't really help you with that, but I will say thats its like committing engineering murder, almost brought a tear to my eye... :ph34r:

Out of intrest, why would you want to weld it up?, - I would agree with you however, that yeah the bearings will wear at an accelerated rate if the alignment is out. From what I can think, bar machineing a purpose built locking piece, then there will be distrotion due to the welding heat. If you're clever with how you weld it i.e. try and balance out the welding area's as you do it, should minimise any huge distortion you might see.

I see your point of view. But it's on a drum braked axle and we have a couple spare. If we had £700 spare, then we'd buy a locker but welding is free and you'll get the same results on dirt.

I have lockers in mine and know what it's like to drive on hard surfaces locked at the back and can live with that.

G

Yes it's redneck as f***k but it's done quite a lot in the states when the truck isn't going to see much tarmac, official name is Lincoln Locker as Lincoln make the welders :lol: personally I'd be concerned about the LR halfshafts' ability to live with it more than anything, the sals is pretty robust.

official name is Lincoln Locker

I thought it was called a spool.

I have seen people weld normal rover axles on play-day disco's etc... they carry a spare drive flange with no half shaft attached so when they have finished playing for the day they pop out a drive shaft and pop in the spare flange so they don't lose all there axle oil or scrub tyres on the way home...

not sure you have to go quite to the lengths of the "orb of traction" tho :D

edited to add a link on how to do it correctly :hysterical:

clicky from pirate4x4

Edited by moose

A Spool locker is a product you can actually buy :blink: . a welded diff is just an abortion :( . It's definately not going to help any warranty claims for any drivetrain parts fitted :o .

I know why people do it etc etc but what about side slopes where a locked diff will be more of a hinderance than a help?

Or tight corners where you're just going to be pushed straight on forwards?

Steve :)

Well we stripped it out yesterday and welded it up basically like this (picture from pirate4x4 because we forgot to take one) :

HPIM0648.jpg

Although James (my co driver, who's doing this for his land rover) tig'd it and it looks a lot nicer than the above photo :D

Tomorrow will show us what it's like in the mud :)

G