Where Can I Find Wolf Info?

DesertBeaver

Can anyone point me to a resource (ideally on the web but humans are acceptable) for information on the Wolf "military Defender".

I'm interested in building an overland vehicle and from what information I have, the Wolf seems a good candidate. I understand the frame has additional strengthening, for example. On the other hand, I hear they are all 24 volt systems?

I also hear they entered service in the late 1990s, and for that reason most are still in service. In other words, hard to come by. Will this change in the near future?

My base vehicle would be a 110 hardtop and I will take it from there. Most likely I would go with a 300 tdi or perhaps the modified PowerStroke version.

Does the Wolf have enough benefits to make it worth waiting for, or should I just look for a straight 110 Defender hardtop and build it up to a suitable standard?

Thanks - DessertBeaver

I understand the frame has additional strengthening, for example. On the other hand, I hear they are all 24 volt systems?

correct. The trials for the contract were severe and chasis fell apart; the addition bracing was meant to prevent that happening in the future.

On the other hand, I hear they are all 24 volt systems?

nowt wrong with that; bulbs can be bought at same place for lorries; starter and alternator may be a bit harder to come by thus more £££

I also hear they entered service in the late 1990s, and for that reason most are still in service. In other words, hard to come by. Will this change in the near future?

From what I read, there are no plans to release them; there have been a few released but these are very severly damage ones only fit for the crusher. The time vehicles are in service variews but is about 8-10 years; later 90';s means there is a minium of 4 or more years to wait.

I seem to recall that whereas in previous years the MOD would release slightly tired vehicles, the Wolfs would be repaired as much as possible to increasethe service life. In other words don't hold your breath. :(

Does the Wolf have enough benefits to make it worth waiting for, or should I just look for a straight 110 Defender hardtop and build it up to a suitable standard?

Depends on when you plan to travel and allowing time to make the mods. Bear in mind that people have travelled further and in harsher terrain that I would expect you to in a standard series vehicles so I leave it to you work out what I think the answer to that is. :unsure:

There will be some released soon, as when BOWMAN (Better Off With Map And Nokia!! :rolleyes: ) is introduced across the Army, some Wolfs will have the tweeks carried out (Anti Roll bars strengthened etc). However the ones that are getting close to their release date will be sold and replaced early to save money having them refitted.

Avoid any that have been to Telic, as they WILL have been abused and that sand gets litterally everywhere and is very abrasive. Unfortunately they will probaly be the first ones released!!

Beaver,

In my opinion it would be a complete waste of time and money to locate and buy a wolf for an overland vehicle. By the nature of their rarity, they will be overpriced when compared to a similar condition regular 110.

Many parts specific to the wolf are extortionately priced and generally only available from Land Rover.

A regular civvy(or ex military) 110 is more than capable of being used for an overland expedition.

Many people go to extraordinary lengths and costs to modify their landrovers for overland travel. Many people choose to make their vehicles into a camel trophy lookalike and that is fair enough and their choice.

In practical terms, a standard 110, as it left the factory is perfactly suitable for overlanding. If I were on a budget, the only mods I would bother with would be heavy duty track rods and a front diff guard+ possibly jackable sills if the budget stretched to it.

Anything non standard will be difficult to find in terms of spares.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

Many thanks for the replies. I am currently a 110 Defender (300tdi) owner, but it lives in Cape Town, while I reside in London. I plan to eventually drive another Landy down to meet its brother :-)

I am assuming the only way to get a Wolf frame is to get a Wolf? I know a stock Landy is capable of a London-CT trip, but that's not my ambition. Having owned a stock (4 door) I would like to outfit something a bit more usable for one or two people on a long overland trip. I've seen broken frames, springs, axle shafts, drive members, diffs, transfer cases, gearboxes and engines - and probably so have you.

If I build up a vehicle here in the UK, I can choose the strogest "stock" parts and have them rebuilt/installed. The Wolf farme would be a great place to start. The rest of the Wolf??? 24V may be common for HGVs, but finding accessories - even a battery charger - can be problematic. So ideal for me would be a trashed Wolf with a good frame. I'd drop in the Powerstroke 2.8tdi and the running gear to match.

I'm not in a big hurry, so suggestions on where to watch as they may be available appreciated. Not so worried about Telic use, as the one bit I hanker after is the frame, which is better kept in sand than salt :-)

Thansk - DB

A couple of dozen accident-damaged Wolves have been released, and a few of these have been refurbished and road registered. However, due to over-stretch the MoD is now refurbishing Wolves (and some much earlier conventional One-Ten & Ninety military models) to keep fleet numbers up until the introduction of OUVS (the 86/7 Land Rover, 1994 Pinzgauer and early nineties RB44 fleet replacement) in 2011. Wolf had an expected fleet life of fifteen years (taking it through to 2012), but is anticipated that some of the fleet will have to serve until 2017.

Best print source of Wolf features is unquestionably LRM, where both Shaun Connors and myself have penned many features over the last seven or so years.

I would echo the comments above about not wasting your money on Wolf. Chassis (Range Rover derived) upgrade and body stiffening were introduced to ensure that six or eight troops travelling in the rear would have greater protection in the event of a high speed motorway accident or an overturn while severe off-roading. Many mechanical components are exclusive to that model (less than 10,000 produced, including the ambulance and Dutch Marines versions) so finding spares in a hurry could be problematic.

Bob

• 11 months later...

Hi

Have you considered purchasing a brand new galvanised chassis from somewhere like richards or marsland? IIRC they do an uprated 110 chassis in 3mm steel vs LR standard 2mm, it will probably cost you much less than a wolf too, your looking at about 1200 quid for the chassis i think? You could then drop your big engine in etc and just put it through the SVA?

Mike

• 1 month later...
Can anyone point me to a resource (ideally on the web but humans are acceptable) for information on the Wolf "military Defender".

I'm interested in building an overland vehicle and from what information I have, the Wolf seems a good candidate. I understand the frame has additional strengthening, for example. On the other hand, I hear they are all 24 volt systems?

My base vehicle would be a 110 hardtop and I will take it from there. Most likely I would go with a 300 tdi or perhaps the modified PowerStroke version.

Thanks - DessertBeaver

Hi.

Take a look at www.lonewolftransglobal.com

It was one of these Wolves that the lovely and very brave lady Kelly Shinn had converted for her Operation Athena.

Her actual Wolf was recently refurbished and offered for sale on eBay for £18,000. Very nice, too! However, for that money you can get a fully and seriously kitted and very capable Defender!

Bob.