You won't be able to scrap a car yourself.

David Sparkes

Very easy loophole / solution to all of this,

Not going to post it on here for them to read though and subsequently close!

But don't worry, it's easy big enough for a Landy to drive through ;) as long as you do "Break" it!

Lara

Your right, the answer infact stares you in the face next to the scrapped box ;)

I recently had a scrap with the dvla over a vehicle which I broke up. I had a letter asking for a fine due to the scrapped vehicle not being sorn'ed.

Fortunately I have access to good legal advice free of charge. With said lawyer, we went through the law quoted by the dvla and found no mention of any authority by which fines may be issued. From a legal perspective a vehicle that has been destroyed by whatever means ceases to exist. There remains no requirement for a vehicle to be scrapped by someone "authorised" to do so.

How the dvla can ask for this is beyond me. If they remove the scrapped box from the v5 then I suggest simply writing a letter informing them that the vehicle has been scrapped. From my dealings, I doubt they are even organised enough to read it, but a copy would prove you correct if taken to court.