Threading Loom Through Chassis

Just wondering if someone has some genius idea of how i can thread my new chassis harness through the chassis.

Some folks have said already 'just clip it to outside of chassis....', and i respect their views and reasons, but its just my personal preference to have it inside.

I tried pushing some stiff galvy fencing wire through from the front end of the chassis but i seem to be able to get the wire to just rear of the rear shock mounts and then it just snags. Cant get it past this point for love or money...

Anyone have any ideas i may have overlooked?

Phil

Don't on a galvanised chassis, there will be lots of sharp edges from the galvanising process, much better to route it along the upper inner edge of the right hand main rail, securely cable tied to the body mounts/brackets, protect it with either split convoluted tube or spiral warp.

I'm inclined to agree with Western there, however, if you must, for such threading exercises I normally use a length of net curtain wire to push through first, I've not tried it on a chassis though and I would imagine there are plenty of places where it could get snagged.

I use a proper electricians thread. They are fibre glass rods that screw together and are very flexible. Not too expensive from the builders yard either.....

Cor! Using t'proper tool for t'job? Eh lad, you'll not get on like that y'knows!!

:-)

I know, in it's way it's as irritating as text speak, but just occasionally, for a short time ....

Cheers.

I don't know how far into the build process you are, but if it is a bare chassis then you could use the force of gravity to help you and stand the chassis up virtically. Then with some string or cord tied to something heavy like a m16 bolt it will find its own way to the bottom/rear of the chassis.

Only a suggestion though!

Steve

I also used an electricians fiberglass rod set, pushed the rod from front to rear and pulled the cable back. I spent some time taping the cable to the rod and taping round the connectors so they would 'blend' into the loom and not snag. The worst bit was getting the bulkhead connectors through the front hole, but it all worked in the end.

Thanks for your help guys. I got it done in the end.

I bought the electricians threaded rods and pushed them through from front to rear. Then pulled loom forwards. As mentioned, getting the plugs through the front hole was entertaining and in the end i had to 'clearance' it a little...

Im glad i got it done though because it really is a bulky big harness. Plus i already have the new fuel hoses clipped to the chassis leg so if id done the same with the harness it would have been getting a little 'busy' down there...

Phil

Slight variation on a theme.

Concious of the sharpy bits Mr Western has mentioned, and wanting a factory appearence, i doubble wrapped the loom with tape, and then a layer of self amalg tape before threading through the chassis. I have never had a loom rub through but having heard the rumours i though this may give some additional protection, and look pretty factory.... Threading i used the net curtain stuff....

That was 10 years ago, and it appears OK so far...

BTW Good Luck.

Oz

Hi Oz. Like you i took the time to double wrap the part of the harness that runs through the chassis. Im pretty sure it will be fine. Funnily enough, the loom itself seemed to pull through relatively unhindered. Cant say the same for the electricians rods....

Phil