Tibout

Hi and low diff lock how do I work it?

Hi there been rebuilding my 2.5 td 90 year 88 for a while now. I'm getting there. I've got which might seem a stupid question! But can anyone explain me how to work the small lever and when to use the different option of hi and low neutral etc. And where should it be position fir normal driving please.

I'll really appreciate any help thanks

thierry

Hi there been rebuilding my 2.5 td 90 year 88 for a while now. I'm getting there. I've got which might seem a stupid question! But can anyone explain me how to work the small lever and when to use the different option of hi and low neutral etc. And where should it be position fir normal driving please.

I'll really appreciate any help thanks

thierry

Back = high (normal) ratio

Middle = Neutral

Forward = low ratio

Right = centre differential working

Left = centre differential locked

Right / back = normal road driving

Left / back = use to overcome loss of traction on the flat (e.g. on wet grass), wheel changing.

Left / forward = climbing hills on low traction surfaces (off roading)

Right / forward = low speed maneuvering (with very large trailers etc.)

Anything / Middle = using centre PTO, confusing car thieves.

The little leaver is back and right for normal driving. This is High ratio and not locked.

Pushing the lever forward from the normal position puts the transfer box into low range.

From either of the above positions, the lever can be pushed to the left. this locks the center differential in the transfer box.

Driving using high, low and difflock has many different opinions, but this is what I do:

High for normal road driving, and lanes that are smooth and easy jsut crawling along in 1st.

I use low if traction might be an issue, If i want the extra controll eg. downhill or over an obstical.

If traction is likely to be an issue I put the difflock in too.

EDIT: I took too long to post :P

Hi thanks guys so basiclly if Ive got this right if I'm driving normally it should be in high at the back and lever towards me on the right. Then if I push it forward still on the right that's in low for more traction. And if I push it to the left on low it lock the differential best use when doing extreme off roading. If I lock it in high what's that for. And what about when it's on neutral in the middle? Does that just put the drive train in neutral? what's the purpose for? Also what's the best way of selecting each diffenrent option should the landy be in a halt position or on the move? Sorry for being so hard to understand I just want to make sure what I'm doing.

Thanks again

To add to this, in general you usually stop to change from hi to low, though it can be done on the move.

Changing from low to high is done as follows:

From low 3rd or 4th

Clutch in

Transfer to Neutral

Clutch up

Clutch in

Transfer to H

Select 2nd gear

Clutch up

Locking / unlocking the diff can be done on the move, providing you are not spinning a wheel or driving in circles etc.

When unlocking the diff, the diff-lock light will not go out until the transmission has unwound either by reversing in circles or driving on loose ground.

if I'm driving normally it should be in high at the back and lever towards me on the right.

Yes

Then if I push it forward still on the right that's in low for more traction.

Yes, pulling/pushing stuff, low speed maneuvering, climbing, general larking about etc.

And if I push it to the left on low it lock the differential best use when doing extreme off roading.

Yes

If I lock it in high what's that for.

Anywhere where you are likely to loose traction at higher speed and don't necessarily need low range. Wet grass, sand etc.

And what about when it's on neutral in the middle? Does that just put the drive train in neutral? what's the purpose for?

It puts the transfer box in neutral. Used for running a PTO (or diagnosing which of your gearboxes is broken :P )

Also what's the best way of selecting each diffenrent option should the landy be in a halt position or on the move?

See my previous post.

Sorry for being so hard to understand I just want to make sure what I'm doing.

that's what the forum is for. :)

One thing I would add about changing from high-low and the other way round. I find the easiest way to make sure it changes and stays there without popping out, is to be literally just moving, this I find makes it 10times easier to change :).

One thing I would add about changing from high-low and the other way round. I find the easiest way to make sure it changes and stays there without popping out, is to be literally just moving, this I find makes it 10times easier to change :).

True, or give the hi/low lever an extra push, as you move off.

That's really of great help now at least I know what Im looking at and what to do thank you so much guys really really appreciate

King regards

thierry

True, or give the hi/low lever an extra push, as you move off.

Yes, if you're stationary when you change, and it doesn't go all the way in, just a little pressure on the lever as you bring the clutch up should make it drop in just fine.

Thierry, the best thing to do is to go play when the truck is built. Just try different things and see what gets you further or makes driving easier :).

Just to add: Don't drive with difflock in on hard surfaces or you'll "wind up" the gears against each other and then something will make an expensive bang. On loose surfaces it's not a problem as the wheels can slip a bit.