Solid state indicators/side/stop/tail lights

Does anyone know of any alternatives to the RDX/BoltOnBits NAS Spec LED solid state lights (http://www.boltonbits.net/lamp-1983-1993-p-88.html)?

I was about to post the same question, as I like the Bolt On Bits ones. I would like some first hand experience of how bright they are though.

The river runners are very expensive, and I'm not sure I like the shape of them :(

I know the original land rover lights can appear a little dim, but, at the prices those kits cost is it worth changing them?

Well, I've got the machine in pieces so if I'm going to do it, now's the time. But that's certainly a question worth asking. They'd need to be literally bulletproof to be worth the RiverRunner's asking price!

I'm not too bothered about appearance, but I do want them to be uber-reliable - so they need to be directly wired LED's with sealed and completely waterproof housings. Otherwise, I may as well stick with filament lamps.

Nick.

I was about to post the same question, as I like the Bolt On Bits ones. I would like some first hand experience of how bright they are though.

I've asked Bolt On Bits if I can send them back if I don't like them. Not had a reply yet. Will be interesting to see how they square it with the Distance Selling Regs. if they say 'no'!

Nick.

Truck Lite (formerly known as Rubbolite) do what are probably the best NAS style LED lamps. There's a decent write up here detailing the features/advantages.

I can get them through a supplier of mine. In fact I did even think about stocking them but most UK buyers buy on price not quality so was afraid they'd sit gathering dust. Last time i looked they were more expensive than the Perei LED units but not stupidly more expensive. Note that LED Reverse and Fog lamps are always more expensive than the regular lamps because the need for a greater intensity and quality light output costs more in the manufacturing process. Same reason LED worklamps are still big money. Cheap LED lamps are cheap because they're using cheap LED's.

I did a lot of searching around before buying mine last year and found that the Le Perie full LED NAS lights are cheapest when bought fromn Bearmach. These are not the horrible bling ones from BOB or just NAS lights with an LED 'bulb' but the complete fully sealed E-marked units.

I couldn't lay my hands on front side-lights (even Le Perie don't list them) and the set of ten I fitted came in at about £260 plus the cost of the LED flasher relay (I already had the plinths as I was just replacing my normal NAS lights). My local dealer (R&C in Cranfield) seems to sell Bearmach items at a few % less than other dealers so the price was good and I didn't even have to worry about P&P.

The beauty of these is that they look just like normal NAS lights but have the full sheet of LED's on the backplane and are completely sealed, the light output is excellent even in bright sunlight and the reverse lights are VERY impressive at night. I have just finished off the installation with a nice full LED number-plate light (supplied by BOB).

At the time Bearmach were listing a front side-light at just under £100 each which I thought was a little steep but even that is no-longer available at the moment (maybe Le Perie were going to manufacture them but then didn't for some reason?).

So far, no reply from Bolt On Bits about returning the lights if I don't like them.

Has anyone tried these which BoB are selling via e-bay but do not appear to be in their own web shop?

Or these? Are these the Le Perie ones from Bearmach mentioned by Litch?

How do NAS lamps differ from the UK spec ones fitted to my 1990 90? Are they just bigger, and if so, does any one make/sell LED lights which are the 'normal' size?

Nick.

One thing to take a care with if spare wheel on back door is that there is enough clearance between the tyre and the off side stop light when the door opens. Mine had been OK but on holiday I had inadvertently parked across a slope and when the dog tried to jump out of the back I diverted attention to him, so the door swung open with added momentum from the slope and smashed the stop light lens.

Makes it expensive when you have to transfer all postage cost onto one lamp unit so very expensive mistake.

Am now thinking of putting two of the buffer blocks into the door.

Just found these http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/380-LED-Bulbs/

Looks like a standard clear lens could be used with these for stop / tail.

I don't personally see much advantage in these since IME by far the most unreliable part of the 'traditional' lights is the connection between the holder and the bulb. If I'm not going to be able to get a completely solid state lamp which looks like the original UK spec one's I'm just going to buy a set of standard lamps and holders and make sure there is plenty of silicone grease on the electrical connections when I put them on the vehicle.

Nick.

"Or these? Are these the Le Perie ones from Bearmach mentioned by Litch?"

Yes those are the Le Perie items but looking at the listing that is a really expensive way of buying them (I am assuming there are just two in the sale?). Buying from Bearmach or somewhere like Dun Bri you can get the pair for about £50.

Like I said, I did ten lights on my 90 (couldn't get the front side-lights which apparently aren't available) with the twin reversing lights being the most expensive at nearly £50 each but I still did it all for about £260.

The Mobile Centre (www.discoverleds.com) sell an E-marked LED lamp the same size as the normal LR lights.

NAS lights leave you will two choices with regards to fitting. If you didn't want to do any drilling of the bodywork and don't mind the lamp protuding from the bodywork use the BOB RDX plinth but a nicer solution (in my opinion anyway) which requires some drilling is to use the correct plinth which is available from LR, Bearmach or any number of aftermarket suppliers. You pays your money and takes your choice.

These guys have something other than the bolt on bits one's

My link

www.discoverleds.com

These were on display at Stoneleigh today. Lovely lights and should last a lifetime. Made by a reputable manufacturer in the States which is why the price tag is high. A very neat fit and the closest thing to stock fitment that I have seen. I'm not keen on the NAS look so these really work for me,