RRC to Defender Transfer Box Swap

Hi all,

I have a LT77 Gearbox and Transfer box (unknown model as I can't find a number on it as I don't know where to look!) sat in my garage that no one wants to buy from a RRC 200tdi.

I have been browsing this forum and noticed you can swap the Defender's existing transfer box for a Disco transfer box to improve top end speed / make it quieter! Can I do this with the transfer box that I have?

I also have worked out there maybe an issue with diff lock and possibly the handbrake fitment?

Please can someone advise, as currently I'm sat here scratching my head.

Hi all,

I have a LT77 Gearbox and Transfer box (unknown model as I can't find a number on it as I don't know where to look!) sat in my garage that no one wants to buy from a RRC 200tdi.

I have been browsing this forum and noticed you can swap the Defender's existing transfer box for a Disco transfer box to improve top end speed / make it quieter! Can I do this with the transfer box that I have?

I also have worked out there maybe an issue with diff lock and possibly the handbrake fitment?

Please can someone advise, as currently I'm sat here scratching my head.

I think most 200 Tdi RRCs had the Borg Warner transfer box. The RRC Borg Warner and Discovery LT230 have the same 1.2:1 ratio. The Defender LT230 has lower ratios (1.4:1 or 1.6:1). The cases look markedly different, so you should be able to tell easily if you have a BW unit there. LT230s all look basically the same, regardless of their ratio or vehicle model.

The Borg Warner transfer box is chain driven and has a viscous unit that requires no diff-lock lever. It acts as a limited slip diff and is always engaged. The lever moves fore and aft to select high and low range, just like on the LT230, but has no lateral movement.

Thanks Snagger...much appreciated.

Does anyone have a photo of a BW Transfer box, so I can make sure it matches up ok?

So technically, I won't be able to select diff lock, but the viscous unit will technically engage it automatically?

I'm a novice when it comes to gear/transfer boxes etc.

Thanks,

So technically, I won't be able to select diff lock, but the viscous unit will technically engage it automatically?

Well, sort of. It's more correct to say it's as if the diff lock is already engaged, but will allow enough slip on good tractive surfaces not to damage the rest of the transmission. It does scrub the front tyres a little on the shoulders of the tread, but nothing significant.

You may be opening a can of worms with that- some people have argued that its a half measure or compromise, but then others say that its the best of both worlds. Ive never driven one thats not auto, and it does make life much easier. A mate says that it makes driving on road nicer, smother and roundabouts more "fun".

Personally I prefer the LT230, but then I have only driven the other a few times.

I would imagine that it would come down to what the vehicle is to be used for?

Fair enough...

I use my Defender for the following:

1) Everyday traveling to work.

2) Odd bit of green laning...most extreme would be Stanage Edge

3) Towing a trailer to shows and through muddy fields.

Would I benefit?

Is this an engine out job? As the engine has only just gone in! lol. If someone could point me in the right direction of any "how to's" that would be great...I'll do a search in the meantime

Ta,