Crossing fast flowing rivers

David Sparkes

I'm sure there must have been a thread when this incident first occurred, but I haven't looked for it.

Having read this report I don't think I can add a 'balanced' comment on what happened, so just post this as a reminder of the fact that while dangers can be stimulating, and 'fun' in retrospect, they are not theme park artificial.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3284gx5

"A police community support officer has been jailed for causing the death by careless driving of a schoolgirl who drowned on an adventure holiday. "

Regards, David.

Saw this and was waiting for the UK to comment.

I wonder if this ignores the idea of 'acceptable risk'. If you take someone mountain climbing, they fall and are killed or injured are you any different?

Might be time to have everyone sign a disclaimer (motorsport is dangerous!) before heading out for the day in future? Surely a good test is that, if a police officer had seen them crossing the river and *nothing* had happened, would he have arrested him? Because surely careless driving is not dependant on the outcome? I suspect that no arrest would have occurred...

Having said all that, the green lanes are just highway, so should you be doing something that can possibly be considered risky (i.e. motorsport) on the highway, what is the difference between street racing and green laning through a river?

Good luck on all that stuff. Also, if you look on the Daily Mail site (where I saw the story) further up is a picture of a LR going through a good bit of flooding and a general 'good oh' statement on it.

Edit:

Just having looked at this again, surely the other two drivers (of the two who made it) should have been prosecuted for careless driving too, unless there is good proof that he was *careless* in his driving during that time (messing with radio, on his phone etc)?

Edited by steve_a

Saw this and was waiting for the UK to comment.

I wonder if this ignores the idea of 'acceptable risk'. If you take someone mountain climbing, they fall and are killed or injured are you any different?

Might be time to have everyone sign a disclaimer (motorsport is dangerous!) before heading out for the day in future? Surely a good test is that, if a police officer had seen them crossing the river and *nothing* had happened, would he have arrested him? Because surely careless driving is not dependant on the outcome? I suspect that no arrest would have occurred...

Having said all that, the green lanes are just highway, so should you be doing something that can possibly be considered risky (i.e. motorsport) on the highway, what is the difference between street racing and green laning through a river?

Good luck on all that stuff. Also, if you look on the Daily Mail site (where I saw the story) further up is a picture of a LR going through a good bit of flooding and a general 'good oh' statement on it.

Edit:

Just having looked at this again, surely the other two drivers (of the two who made it) should have been prosecuted for careless driving too, unless there is good proof that he was *careless* in his driving during that time (messing with radio, on his phone etc)?

Hi Steve,

The questions you ask are interesting and a good point of discussion but severely flawed due to the facts of the accident.

Firstly, "Acceptable risk"

Death is not really "acceptable"

Being responsible for Minors, the girl was 17 so not 'classed' as an adult.

Being responsible for the people in "your" vehicle! under "your" control,

Crossing a highly flooded river for fun is silly at best, (although fun) but with young passengers is highly questionable!

Secondly, they were on a public highway or "byway" to be more correct, This is not motorsport, it is recreational driving, just as any Sunday drive! Not motorsport!

If someone with or near the video camera was so astute to think clearly that an accident was highly possible, it does sound like "someone" was under the impression that it was both foolish and dangerous! Just because it was on a public road does not make it safe! We are given brains to distinguish these things. Or unfortunately LESSONS if we can't.

What a shame a young girl paid for this lesson with her life!

Third point:

You are absolutely correct in this assumption and the court agreed.

Fourth point.

The other drivers,

You would need proof etc that the drivers and cars also went through the same obstacle and that the obstacle was in exactly the same condition etc etc, A hard or harder case for the CPS to prove and make stick! but yes you may have a good and valid point.

A very good lesson for us all though as I am sure there are many on here just like me who have done silly things in our vehicles before and got away with it by the luck of God!

Let us all learn!

Lara