Heater/waterflow?

I'm considering to "update" the heater on my '86 110 with a 200Tdi. As standard there is always flow of water through the heater core and asjustments of air temp is made by blending in cold air.

Would installing a water valve as per Series III and control the flow of water from fully open to fully closed do any harm? Water will flow through the engine as before, it's just the part that goes to the heater that will be stopped.

I can't see how it would do any harm, if the heater is set to cold then there should be no airflow over the heater matrix, so there's no additional cooling to the system anyway.

To divert the flow and bypass the matrix would be a nice idea but would require a far more complex valving arrangement, it's debatable whether it would be worth it.

Surprisingly enough, I try to get the inside of my 110 warmer when it's cold outside. ;) So I have bought myself a heater core for a Volvo 740 and am trying to install it into the heater box.

First idea was to just replace the existing core, but I was mislead by the seller's web site. It's about 50 mm higher than the standard one, so it's a close call to not hit the bonnet. Then it struck me that I might rip out everything in the box and install the Volvo core horizontally as it is in a Volvo. When doing that, there will be no flap left to mix cold/warm air. Hence the need for a water valve.

Hmmm, I see, a little clearer now. If there is a bupass in the engine, then no need to bypass it again I suppose. A downside with putting a shut off valve is that you will get even less "instant" temperature control over your heating, it would take the time of the air flowing throught the matrix, to cool it and its contents...

An idea I had, which is not much help to you now really, but I was thinking of maybe putting a pre-heat circuit into the plack flume box that feeds the fan, heeps of room to get a small matrix in there. that would definatly need a shut off valve though.

I suspect the engine uses the heater matrix as its coolant bypass for when the thermostat is closed, So if you did it, you'd need to use some sort of two way valve to ensure the water could still circulate around the heater loop when the matrix was shut off.