Td5 Bulkhead Conversion

Gents,

Do I understand correctly: It is possible to mate a standard td5 bulkhead loom to a 300tdi without major modifications to the loom? I have a couple of td5 bulkhead harnesses and thought that I would need to strip out the redundant wiring. I was also modifying the harness from RHD to LHD, but have just scored a new LHD Td5 bulkhead harness (YMC000540, £100 - shiney!!). If this can be mated up to my 300tdi relatively easily, I will be one happy chap!

In terms of plugs it should be possible, you might have to change a few to suit though. They are available from places like Eastern Beaver.

You will still have to sort the ECU-issues, as in re-routing things like gauges or warning lights that are controlled by the ECU. More than doable though :)

Personally I couldn't be bothered and just bought a ROW-spec loom :P

In terms of plugs it should be possible, you might have to change a few to suit though. They are available from places like Eastern Beaver.

You will still have to sort the ECU-issues, as in re-routing things like gauges or warning lights that are controlled by the ECU. More than doable though :)

Personally I couldn't be bothered and just bought a ROW-spec loom :P

I'm in Oman and couldn't find an ROW loom for reasonable money... By the time I've paid postage, spares start to become seriously expensive so I usually pick up bits and pieces when I'm back in UK. At the moment I have a new LHD TD5 bulkhead loom, TD5 chassis harness, LH TD5 wing loom, and TD5 gauges. I also have an Amp weatherproof connector kit from somewhere I can't remember, so changing out a couple of connectors will be OK.... That said, I do like the idea of being able to swap out the 300tdi for a TD5 at a later date (read when they become affordable in Oman.)

Was your original intention to leave the TD5 harness basically unmodified, with the exception of mods required for gauges and warning lights? I guess I'll fit the harness as is, connect up and start working through the systems that don't work... Errmmm, could be a long week(s)....

Why use the rest of the old 300 wiring ? Get a TD5 rear and wing harnesses and save yourself a heap of modification.

Mo

Agreed, and this is basically what I've done. I was concerned that I would need to rip out all the redundant wiring from the TD5 bulkhead loom to mate it to a 300tdi.

Was your original intention to leave the TD5 harness basically unmodified, with the exception of mods required for gauges and warning lights? I guess I'll fit the harness as is, connect up and start working through the systems that don't work... Errmmm, could be a long week(s)....

That was my intention yes. I then bought a whole vehicle wiring system off a chap, he does have LHD ROW spec main (bulkhead) wiring harnesses and I'm sure he'd sell you one. He does sell internationally, so you may wish to try him?

Send me a PM if you want his details, or if you want me to ask him for you.

Cheers

James

That was my intention yes. I then bought a whole vehicle wiring system off a chap, he does have LHD ROW spec main (bulkhead) wiring harnesses and I'm sure he'd sell you one. He does sell internationally, so you may wish to try him?

Send me a PM if you want his details, or if you want me to ask him for you.

Cheers

James

Interesting. Does a ROW spec harness:

Have the AMP type connectors?

Would it be (almost) plug and play with a tdi 300?

Would the TD5 rear harness and wing harnesses need much modification?

I assume that the TD5 gauges mod that you have detailed elsewhere would be needed? Thanks for this info, James. I'll drop you a PM

Mark

The Td5 rear and wing harnesses can be used, although obviously the fuel pump connections are redundant. ROW-spec ones exist, the same chap has them too :)

AMP connectors mostly used, as long as some others yes.

It would be exactly plug and play with a 300Tdi as that's what ROW-spec cars have! The ROW-spec engine harness is designed for a 300Tdi and fits around it lovely.

Td5 gauges - a small mod would be needed if you used a standard instrument panel loom, but if you got a ROW-spec one it wouldn't need to be done.

I can't see why it would be necessary to remove any wiring.

Retain your existing glow plug wiring. Temp sender needs changing and the wire resiting in the speedo connector to get your temp gauge working.

Fit a speedo transducer and an ignition live for the fuel stop solenoid.

Use the underseat maxi fuse box for power distribution and as another layer of protection.

That should get everything working and not removing any wiring or plugs will make life easy when the time comes to fit a td5 engine.

HTH

Mo

• 1 month later...

Well documented lads, I'll follow the thread with interest, just about to start my own 110 comercial csw build with a 1992 V8 110 csw ex ruc mountain rescue vehicle. Bought it pre stripped of a friend as an unfinsihed project, so basically a rolling chassis at the minute. Literally just trailered it home yesterday.

Need to find a donar disco now for the drive train and engine.

Was considering the galv route, and have made up my mind with the photos and detail show here!

I have dealt with Hobsons before, having bought one of the row spec plaastic tanks etc for my current 110 csw, but never fitted.

I'll get some photos upsoon.

The row spec loom seems to be the way forward.

Well done.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this back to life :lol:

But are Hobsons still going, just after some wiring bits n bobs !

The loom I have, Raph tells me is from -

Microcat says YMC500860 is for Defender Td5 from chassis number 3A000000 to 4A668122 wiring harness main with

heated seats

rear speakers

electric front windows

central locking

ABS brakes

Does anyone know if this has wiring for a heated front screen ?

Then the fun will begin, trying to get it all working...with all the bits I dont need disabled :unsure:

Regards

Les

• 4 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but are Hobsons still going? I'm looking to replace the aging loom on my 1987 V8 110, but adding things like heated seats, heated windscreen, etc. After reading this thread, it seems like a ROW loom would be a good starting point, but I am balking slightly at the price of a new one.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but are Hobsons still going? I'm looking to replace the aging loom on my 1987 V8 110, but adding things like heated seats, heated windscreen, etc. After reading this thread, it seems like a ROW loom would be a good starting point, but I am balking slightly at the price of a new one.

Yes they are ---- http://www.hobsonindustries.co.uk/

• 3 years later...

My 200tdi has the td5 looms and the 10AS works just fine without an engine ECU. I have remote central locking on all 3 doors as well as the alarm features. The only thing I had to do was get my mate to activate the interior light on the 10AS which can be programmed through the td5 OBD port.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Retro - and not to worry, it looks like it may be possible after all!

18 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

My 200tdi has the td5 looms and the 10AS works just fine without an engine ECU. I have remote central locking on all 3 doors as well as the alarm features. The only thing I had to do was get my mate to activate the interior light on the 10AS which can be programmed through the td5 OBD port.

That's great to hear.  So it is also possible to interrogate the 10AS without a main ECU being present then?  Didn't expect that!  So with a nanocom, I should in theory be able to add fobs and enable/disable 10AS features as required?