Crimp Removal Tool

need4speed

I have entered a crimp into the wrong position of the female half of a 4-way econoseal connector. Obviously you cant just pull the crimp out as you would break the connector, so i was wondering is there a special removal tool that will allow me to remove the crimp from the connector without damaging either the connector or the crimp... Hope my explanation makes sense?

Phil

:lol:

Oh yes what a Joy :(

These are held in by a "Tang" (look at a new one) as you side them in the tang is compressed

then pings back and thus locks.

You will need a welding rod / ultra thin jewellers screwdriver etc

remove the grommet, then from the outer end poke it to get the catch away from the housing lock, pull gently

and or jiggle but don't go mad. It will come out, similar to the dentist saying "Relax this won't hurt"

if your lucky it will come out, but its an art form, and I have practised it to the point

sometimes I can get them out is seconds, and on others covered in sweat and 20 mins of "Jiggling" later

it comes and I have no idea why the difference :D

Nige

Thanks Nige. I can assure you i wasnt laughin when i realised my schoolboy error... ;) The air was a lovely shade of blue..

Bl**dy tangs! I'll have a go with a really fine screwdriver and 'jiggle' as described......... probably for hours.

Phil

for the round pins theres an extraction tool, but for those ones a jewellers screwdriver is the best tool. If the crimp isnt all the way home then they are quite easy to pull out. Otherwise they can be tricky a right pain. The worst bit is if you had 3 hands it would almost be simple!

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I managed to rectify my schoolboy error with a fine jewellers screwdriver. A little jiggle and pull, and out it popped.... Thing is i very nearly put it back in the same hole :lol:

Sorted now.

Cheers

Phil

If the tang gets flattened then use the screwdriver to ease it out a bit and it should lock OK.

I use a strip of metal cut from a soft drink can as it can be cut with scissors. If the pins are the round type then I roll the metal until it is the correct diameter and cut the excess off.

Sometimes when reusing a secondhand connector it is difficult to know if there is one tang or two until it is out, often too late!

Marc.

Toyota (sorry :( ) have a dedicated connector repair manual and parts list (most of the connectors in it appear to be Sumitomo/Yazaki types)

The manual covers how to remove terminals from housings, harness repairs and lists part numbers for replacement housings and terminals (pre-crimped to repair tails)

.pdf download (about 5mb) -

Toyota - Wire Harness Repair Manual