Transfer Box Wining

Hi,

Build my truck up from scratch and now has 300tdi and R380 gearbox and LT230 transfer box.

Ever since it has left the shed, (used an old defender as a donar car which all worked ok when came into the shed) there has been an awful wining noise from the gearbox/Tbox.

I smashed up a front prop at the weekend at the mission 4x4 and have now noticed that there is alot of movement on the front output shaft. i know there should be some but i can move it about 5mm up and down.

The transfer box also took me about 20 mins to get it into low box. wouldn't come out of high to start with and then kept jumping out of low diff..

Then i had a big bang and it went in and stayed in so i competed with it there!!!!! have got it back into high now fine.

As for the noise.

When you are putting power on there is a horrible wining noise. take power off and the noise goes away until engine brakeing and then there is an even worse noise!!!

Is this the front output bearing that has gone or do you think it is more a case of a very warn T/box.

or is it something to do with gearbox? that seems all ok and changed gear all ok with no noises or anything.

I'm running 35" silverstone tyres.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

James

The one I had which had a broken tooth on the input gear sounded a bit like you describe, except it didn't whine when off the power or engine braking.

5mm up / down play? Doesn't sound good. A little rotational backlash, maybe, but none of the one's I've played with in the fortnight had any up/down or side/side play.

Kev

The output shafts are pressed into a roller bearing, there should be no up-down play whatsoever.

Having said that, the whining sounds like a diff issue, so it might be easier to simply swap the whole transfer box, unless you want to get into stripping/rebuilding it.

does it rattle like crazy when you put the t-box into neutral and the main box in 5th?

try 1 to 5. if it rattles like crazy even at 3rd, the bearings in the box could be worn out or loose which requires an entire rebuild. i've had this problem before and it turned out to be the box was not properly overhauled the last round, so all the gears are like chattering teeth.

the gears were damaged and even with new bearing, they will whine, not as loud. the solution was either to change the affected gears or swap the box. i swapped the box for one 10 years older and it works out very well for the past 12k km.

It's been suggested to me the whine I have in my xfr box is due to it being fitted incorrectly; of the 5 bolts holding it on

there is a 10mm one facing backwards on the offside. Allegedly, if you fit the wrong bolt in here it can push in far enough to rub the laygear. Proof is to withdraw the bolt and see if the end is rubbed away - if so, grind a little bit off. It's on my todo list for this weekend.

Nigel

1. My memory might be flawed, but I think there are 7 bolts holding the transfer box on - two go from the gearbox facing rearwords, and 5 from the t-box facing forwards (ok, one is a nut onto a stud)

2. I think there were some short, some medium, and some long bolts. I fitted the shortest ones from the gearbox to the transfer box, because as you say, there's 'some workings' going on inside behind. Why they couldn't just use all the same length, I've no idea.

Kev

cheers for the replies

I haven't had the transfer box away from the gearbox so hopefully i can put this concern of bolts out of the question.

As the front ourput bearing is nackered i am going to just replace the T box i think with a 'good' second hand one and see how we get on!!

Thanks for all the replies though.

James