Disco 1 hazards not flashing for alarm

MrSwampy

Hey everyone,

This is probably something very simple, but it's been driving me nuts!

When I bought my Disco (M reg V8i ES) a few months ago, the hazard lights would flash when I use the remote to lock/unlock the car. Now though, they do nothing! The doors still lock, the alarm still arms, but the hazards lights do nothing.

I'm not sure when exactly this problem arose, I changed the front indicators for clear ones recently, but I can't see that having an effect. I've checked all the fuses (interior fusebox) that might relate to this, but they're all fine.

It's very annoying not to have a visual confirmation of the car being locked, I often have to walk back to it to be sure.

Any advice out there please?

Cheers,

MrSwampy

I had this problem, drove me mad for 9 months till I found the answer by accident.

The flash hazards function is fused on the same fuse as the headlight washer pump.

If your headlight washer pump goes faulty and causes the fuse to blow it takes out the flash function as well.

Have a look at fuse 2, satelite 1 above the main fuses below the steering wheel.

It's the row of 6 fuses you want number 2, second from the right 20A.

You may also have to un-plug the headlight washer pump and replace it in due cause.

Try your headlight washers first,if they work this is not the answer you want.

Hope this works for you.

I had this problem, drove me mad for 9 months till I found the answer by accident.

The flash hazards function is fused on the same fuse as the headlight washer pump.

If your headlight washer pump goes faulty and causes the fuse to blow it takes out the flash function as well.

Have a look at fuse 2, satelite 1 above the main fuses below the steering wheel.

It's the row of 6 fuses you want number 2, second from the right 20A.

You may also have to un-plug the headlight washer pump and replace it in due cause.

Try your headlight washers first,if they work this is not the answer you want.

Hope this works for you.

You sir, are a genius! I now have flashing hazards when I lock and unlock my Disco again :)

How random that it's the same fuse as the headlight washer jets!

Thanks nicedayforit, and thanks also to ches. Very helpful :)

" had this problem, drove me mad for 9 months till I found the answer by accident.

If your headlight washer pump goes faulty and causes the fuse to blow it takes out the flash function as well."

Bl**dy hell... I have been doing with out the flashing indicators for ages... I had a problem where the flasher relay got wet and continued flashing regardless of hazards were on/off/indicating, car on/off etc...so disconnected that and let it dry out (it was the one by the alarm ECU) and that sorted, then the ECU died, replaced that, then the lights stopped flashing... I just put it down to an old Disco and one of the "It's a Land Rover" things..

However, being that I have removed the front bumper for a winch version, and simply pulled the fuse out so that the headlight washers dint squirt washer fluid in the engine bay... I'll do the proper job and disconnect the pump and put the fuse back in...

Massive DOH! moment...

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Mine packed up when i had to change hazards relay (part no prc8878 )

i'm wondering if if wrongly connected it 

on the original relay there are numbers 

ANY HELP really appreciated especially if a wiring diagram available 

hazards relay PRC8878.JPG

hazards relay.JPG

On 6/3/2019 at 9:39 AM, discodave22 said:

For the alarm especially the feed to flashers

As it appears that u have a 200 series disco hence the five terminal relay ie. pre 1995MY, so  the electrical circuits are simple.

Vehicle security wiring diagram isn’t available but the indicator diagram below shows the five terminal relay that u have shown in your the pictures. 

A7250CED-ECDC-4941-AC98-68154A4C5A63.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks

Relay seems ok

The suggestion above problem could be  fuse 2, satelite 1  but this is for 1995+ But mine is pre 1995my and the headlight washer fuse is same as dipped beam - which work ok

Any ideas ??

Shame no diagram for alarm available as wanted that to fault find why indicators don't flash when arming 

Edited by discodave22
more detail

Yes it’s a shame but moving on the 300 series was better.  

I believe from snippets of info I’ve gained over the years that is the clocking relay that sends the signal to the indicator relay to flash the indicators,  I don’t know how as that item isn’t shown in my early D1 diagrams, maybe because in the days of your disco remote central locking plus the alarm ECU upgrade was an option, optional kit isn’t necessarily shown in old factory wiring diagrams. But the flash should be there when using the key only in the drivers door.

Really without wiring diagram what’s now required, is spending a day looking and testing as necessary (find out which wire is sending 12v when locking/ unlocking) in the wiring from the alarm ECU, onwards  to the central locking relay that is the tall black relay that’s  positioned near the ECU, plus the relay connection and operation, then go to hazard switch.

as the system was once functional suggests that clearing you issue will be simple... if you can find it that is.

If the issue can’t be found, than you’ll have to stay without the locking/unlocking indicator flash, the D1s door actuators aren’t exactly silent and the door pin is easily seen to confirm that the door is locked/unlocked.

Edited by teabag
  • Thanks 1

i removed plastic side  panel in passenger foot well but couldn't see Alarm 

only found a headlamp relay and another(cant remember what for) and a yellow 4 pin relay but don't know what this one is for 

Teabag- what is clocking relay ??

Edited by discodave22
more detail

On 6/8/2019 at 3:33 PM, discodave22 said:

i removed plastic side  panel in passenger foot well but couldn't see Alarm 

only found a headlamp relay and another(cant remember what for) and a yellow 4 pin relay but don't know what this one is for 

Teabag- what is clocking relay ??

Just my typo, locking relay.