steering play

alright guys, my steering has been feeling very vague and loose recently, and this morning wilst reversing round a corner on full lock i hear a very strange noise coming from around the pas box. any ideas of what to check before replacing it,

cheers dan

cheers, will check the drop arm. the noise definatly isnt normal, i changed the pas pump 6 months ago but the noise i heard this morning is new, sounded like it was really straining even though i wasnt trying to steer excessively. any other ideas???

Drop arm can be a pain to get off but it will come off with a hammer, there is a thread in the tech archive somewhere about where to hit it. A disco one would be easier in the long run as there is no ball joint but.......

You will need to replace the front steering arm with a disco one to match the disco drop arm as its longer, You will also need a steering damper relocation bracket thing as this attaches to the front steering arm on the defender where as it doesnt on the disco.

Dave.

This is a conversion that has been talked about a few times on here and I did this about 7 maybe 8 years ago now, instead of the usual 3-4 hours trying to sort the drop arm ball joint situation out and possibly cutting the damn thing off with an angle grinder to replace it, It takes me around about 10 minutes max now especially seeing as I copper slip the track rod end before I put it into the end of the track rod and I use a QT strengthened bar and the bracket that allows you to attach the steering damper to the bar too

HTH

John

Drop arm can be a pain to get off but it will come off with a hammer, there is a thread in the tech archive somewhere about where to hit it. ........

Dave.

Hammering the drop arm could screech on the threads (That is if you will be using it again) I think a ball joint seperator could do that job but keep your forehead far away cause there will be a baaaaang!!!

cheers for all the info guys, the disco option sounds like a good idea but funds are short and the guy who sold me the landy gave me a box of spares which includes a new ball joint. would i need to remove the drop arm to change the ball joint or could i do it in situ?

I had to do this a month or so back. The ball joint was so rusty i couldn't even get the bottom plate out when it was in-situ. Spent the next 4 hours trying to remove the drop arm, utilising all techniques mentioned on here, even borrowed the hydraulic puller from fork lift people next door but it wouldn't budge. Ended up having to cut it off and replace the whole thing.

New drop arm complete with ball was only about £30. If you need you landy on monday for work i'd seriously consider buying a drop arm just in case. Hopefully you'll be able to replace the ball joint and return the drop arm. If i was to do it again i'd get a spare just in case.

HTH

Simon