Padlocking a Sankey to Nato Hitch.

Paddy

Hi guys,

Any ideas on how to padlock lock a Sankey trailer “eye” onto a nato pintle when in use.?

I could chain the trailer to the Dixon Bates drop plate but wonder if there is a neater way. Such as on the Pintle, enlarging the small hole that the securing pin goes through ( to stop the jaws opening), to enable a padlock to go through.

Regards,

As you say the pin through the pintle could be replaced with a padlock or you would drill the pin and padlock one end of it - it wont be the most robust solution ever but it might just be enough to deter a would be thief....

How about a whacking great chain between the trailer and the back of the landrover, secured with a padlock? Thats how I secure my Ifor Williams when its parked up in services etc...

The nicest solution IMHO would be some sort of clamp that goes around the whole jaw and prevents it from being opened, secured with either a padlock or a barrel lock...

HTH,

Ross

I wouldn't do anything like drilling the hitch as this could reduce it's strength. You really need something to go round the hitch as has been previously stated. The way I look at it, there ain't that many vehicles about with a hitch that can take a sankey ring, so the risk of it being stolen at services is a lot less than a caravan etc. They'd have a job with the electrics on mine as well.

Nige

Gazzar,

Emailed Knott, couldn’t find any other contact details, their reply was that the fitting is made for standard tow hitches so they don’t think it would fit a large eye of a Sankey. I’ll either stick with a chain or maybe get something fabbed up along similar lines.

Nige

I wasn’t keen to drill the locking pin on the hitch either. The trailer is left coupled and unattended in remote places when I’m fishing and there’s plenty of chancers travelling the countryside !!

Thanks for the replies guys