Welding Advice

Cat_J

Hi all,

Looks like I'm going to have to learn to weld, something I've been meaning to do for some time now anyway. I've got to replace the o/s bulkhead outrigger on my 90 as it has a rather large hole in the top of it.

Can anybody recommend a good welder thats up to the job, good brand etc but not silly money as it'll be my learning one. Also a good mask to wear too, I'm fine for the rest of the safety kit.

Also has anyone got any good advice/methods of actually doing the job. How do I make sure its perfectly in position?

Fairly basic questions I'm sure but I'm a fast learner.

Your advice is much appreciated as usual.

Jethro

Definitely get an auto tinting mask, can get a decent one for around £70. It is quite expensive but defiantly worth the money in my opinion. Being able to see what your doing defiantly helps :P

There is a post somewhere on this forum which has a list of lots of members welders with price and rating etc, well worth a look if you can find it!

Welding clamps/mole grips/magnetic clamps but most importantly a mate are good to hold things whilst lining up and tacking in place.

I'm no expert by any means, my welding can only be described as functional but I'm still learning :lol: Best advice I can give is make sure the metal is really clean and shiney, wire wheels for drills and grinders are good.

Practise makes perfect!! :D

I wont be learning on the outrigger don't worry :P Got lots more to do first before I get to that so some time to learn. Can I weld it with the bulkhead on by supporting it with a jack/alex stand. The bulkhead is very good and through this whole rebuild my plan was always to leave it on so I didn't have to mess with the brakes and clutch at all.

If I have to take it off then I have to do it but I was really trying to avoid it, but not bodge at the same time, maybe two things that just don't go together.

We use gasless inverter migs for sitework in cherrypickers and they will do good welding , wire quality is paramount tho. The main problem with gasless is overheating the tip , so tip files , usually used to clean oxy/prop cutting nozzles will help things along.

Talk to Elmdale over at Hadliegh for decent info

I have a 150a mig that you could have for some beer tokens...

Cheers

Steveb

Just go to BOC and set up an account (direct debit). Just make sure you turn the gas off at the bottle after use, very few welders are 100% gas-tight long-term.

BOC will fill any BOC bottle as long as you have an account and a plausible story, I have filled friend's oxygen and nitrogen bottles before now despite only having the argoshield on my account, they did write to me asking why but once I explained they were fine.

All this welding malarky might seem expensive but if you work out how much you'd be paying for someone else to do the work for you it's peanuts, you don't have to do many jobs before your welding gear has paid for itself. It's also not much more in the long term to do things right (proper welder with proper gas) and get a nice result than to cut corners and bodge it.

The only reason we use inverter migs is the fact that they wiegh 15kg as opposed to 80kg for a 180a single phase transformer mig in a cherrypicker crate, gasless wire will run thru a decent home mig , 150a + , however as I said it does require more care with tips overheating and good quality flux cored wire , iirc a 5kg reel is about £90 ....which is the other factor of course.

A big shortcoming of a lot of the smaller diy MIGs is the liner in the torch is usually plastic which is not ideal for steel wire(plastic is for ally normally), so if you are going to buy try and get a unit with the eurotorch fitting.

Much easier learning with Argoshield and a reasonable welder , a half size bottle will do about 10-11 hours of welding which is lots .

BOC or AirProducts will open an account for you , BOC are in Ipswich and AP have a few outlets local to you . If you want some pointers when you get set up let me know ;)

cheers

Steveb

If you want to weld thin stuff as well then make sure you get one with as many settings as possible, most of the welding I do is letting in sections on classic car bodywork, most hobby welders will not have a setting low enough to avoid blowing holes, particuarly if you want a decent power top setting. I use a Sip migmate which I got in unused condition from ebay for £150, my only complaint is that the wire feed is not great, in it's favour is that the duty cycle is good, it's a right pain to have to keep stopping, also it will weld at 25A on the lowest setting which is good for thin stuff.

Definately get an auto helm, you can pick them up for about £30 all in from the states, also courtesy of ebay.

Is this powerful enough to weld chassis?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUTTERS-MIG-130C-Welder-Little-Used-Excellent-Order-/160473462731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255cf6b7cb#ht_2060wt_1137

It just looks like a good deal...

Oh yeah, and the other problem I have at the moment I am running everything off a 3kW generator

I have the 180 amp version of that and it is a nice little machine for the price. Mine is Gas/gasless - so you have the option of both - looks very similar in setup to the ebay one above, so i think that might be able to do both as well. I think Les has done a write up of my 180 amp version in the tech archive.

I have the 180 amp version of that and it is a nice little machine for the price. Mine is Gas/gasless - so you have the option of both - looks very similar in setup to the ebay one above, so i think that might be able to do both as well. I think Les has done a write up of my 180 amp version in the tech archive.

In some tech spec I found for it it says you can change polarity so I assume it runs gasless too.