`Yep, its another leak question

TimR

Evening all.

I have spent months trying to trace a leek behind the headliner on the passenger side of my 110 CSW. It drips in when standing, and when turning a corner there is a small waterfall, usually over the passengers feet (a familiar story).

After following advice on the forum and looking at the water ingress manual I'm still stumped. I have resealed the guttering along the length of the passengers side with dum-dum. I have done the same in the corner of the door-frame, I have taped up the roof seams, taped up the sunroof (its the twist opening one so no drainage pipe) sealed the alpine windows, filled the small crack in the windscreen rubber and filled under the lip above the windscreen to be sure - no change.

That said, I have had the headliner off and I can see where the water is emerging from but its not from the roof, sunroof or windows.. I'm stumped. Any other suggestions?

Pics of where the water is emerging from attached.

post-13249-081988500 1283445857_thumb.jpg

post-13249-072296500 1283445954_thumb.jpg

Possible build up of condensation being channelled towards the door. :angry: I have a similar problem come winter time. <_<:ph34r: Don't forget the headliner could act as trapping the atmosphere. :( Countless time I leave the wagon looking like I've wet myself. :rolleyes: Someone mention to seal the vent flaps during winter time to prevent ingress. Which I have done with bathroom sealant ;) As for my roof lining, I will look at my piggy bank :unsure::huh::o:(

Interesting idea, but this is definitely caused by rain (its only happens after it rains) and it has to be somewhere up on the roof, somewhere that causes a leek in that corner. I can see where it is coming out I just don't understand where it is getting in.

Tim, I think the only way you're going to find out where is coming from is to remove the headlining and then get some one to spray water from a hose pipe onto the roof and go from there I know you've said you've already took the roof lining out, but what about getting someone else to look at it inside whilst you do the water thing ? as you maybe looking for the woods and not seeing the trees so to speak

HTH

John

Not sure if you've done this already...

Look at the roof at the front. Right at the front of the roof on the top there is a lip as it folds down over the windscreen frame.

I had a leak similar to yours and it baffled me for years, until a friend told me to check here.

Look along the length of the fold and you may see some cracks in the paint - if you dont scrub the area clean and no doubt you will! I had a few and, as a test, covered them up with duck tape. I didn't have a leak any more! I've now done the job properly with sealant.

If you're struggling to picture this - let me know and I'll take a pic.

I also went down the route of filling the gutters, but I made the mistake of using silicone and now I can't get it out! Whooooops :lol::unsure:

my guess is leaking alpines. Leaks into the channel between the roof skin and the channel with the bolts in. Very common. If its not the alpines is the roof seams leaking into the same outer channel. Runs to the front every time you brake.

Happens on mine so i'm just refurbing the roof. New Alpine rubbers and sealing the roof with PU Sealent and a bit of a touch up with a can of white spray.

It can also come in at the back vents if you have them,,, and runs all the way to the front. I can get the end of my finger into the channel to see where its wet.

Its a good call on the front of roof. Although I couldn't see any cracks I have cleaned it and worked some dumdum across the whole width. I have also done the same with all the roof seals up on top - cleaned them and worked dumdum into the joint. I cant see any leaks around the alpine windows but again, a bit of dumdum on the inside has made sure.

The actual roof seal (under the gutter is is great shape, but I have checked it very carefully and where it looked like a gap...yep more dumdum!

Now I'm just waiting for the rain.. fingers crossed!

The trouble with the watering can trick is that while you can see the drips forming in the channel on the inside, you can necessarily see where the water is getting in. I already know 'roughly' where the water is coming in, its just pinpointing it precisely.

That said, I think my last assault make have cured it. There was heavy rain over night and no leak this morning. I think Ill give it a few more days of rain before putting the headliner back though..