Off to look at a TD5 90 - pointers?

SWMBO and I are off tomorrow afternoon to look at a TD5 '03 plate 90. It's a County spec 'van' with rear bench seats fitted and 55k on the clock. Looks tidy in the pics and has full service history etc.

We want it as a replacement for our 4.0 Cherokee to haul the dobbin box and for general shooting duties (and it will also be a buddy for our '66 109).

So what specific engine/'03 problems should we be looking for, I am comfortable with all the usual LR stuff from my past Series and Disco wagons so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Also for RFL how would the 'non-window rear work as it has rear seats. Would it still qualify for the £225 van rate or would the V5 have to state something specific to qualify?

Cheers,

Paul

Look for a diesel leak from around the back of the cylinder head - the fuel pressure regulator. Some leak into the clutch housing but most run down the side of it. Check it starts well with no clicking or struggling as the solenoids in the starter wear out. Look for oil in the loom - by pulling the plugs from the ECU under the drivers seat.

All of those are easily fixed for a few quid though - but are good ammunition for a discount!

Handbrake not working is a favorite of mine - and amazingly saved me £500 on the purchase of my 03 plate Td5 110. The vendor didn't know who I work for ;).

I doubt ti's RFL status will have changed officially when the rear seats were added.

If you want to tow with it, you'll probably find the Td5 a bit gutless. If you get it 'Chipped' (Bell Auto Service gets my vote) it totally transforms it and makes it a fantastic tow vehicle which will cruise at any legal speed effortlessly. I don't know why LR de-tuned defenders so much compared to Discos - but at least you can put it back!

Si

Cheers Simon.

Well the dealer we went to see Friday I can cross off my list. The first 90 we looked at initially appeared very tidy - then we took a butchers underneath to see that patina of 'submerged in wet mud a lot and never cleaned' iron oxide. Dealer had even disk cut the side bars off (left the bracket ends) I guess due to corrosion and had fitted a new front bumper for the same reason :ph34r:

Next was an '05 TD5 ex-SHB with 23k which, again, looked nice (despite the 285 'sports tyres' and big rims which would be dumped as part of a deal anyway). Started to prod and as you would expect of such an ex-hire had evidence of mud everywhere under the bonnet despite their steam cleaning and rust starting over all engine surfaces. One front axle chrome ball was also so badly pitted that the seal had failed. A good sign for other failures that may follow?

Now back and looking again and may even look at a TDCi as even an '07 comes in the price we are considering. Will drop into that well known dealer in Southampton (Nursling) on Monday as they have one or two (will 100% be ex-SHB ;) ).

Paul

Paul,

Have you tried Landroversuk? They seem to have some good Land Rovers in. There vehicles do have some high mileage but they all look good. However i don't rate their email return from the workshop side of things, but good on the sales side of things.

HTH

Chris

I would google them first and see some of the feedback.

I've had good experience of the Thatched Garage - formerly the 'Land Rover Man', Niel Digby-Clark.

I know he can sometimes be a bit difficult - some people like him and some not. Hovever, the vehicles I've looked at have been reasonable value - and he's prepared to haggle!

Si

Paul,

Have you tried Landroversuk? They seem to have some good Land Rovers in. There vehicles do have some high mileage but they all look good. However i don't rate their email return from the workshop side of things, but good on the sales side of things.

HTH

Chris

That's where I went Friday :ph34r:

I've had good experience of the Thatched Garage - formerly the 'Land Rover Man', Niel Digby-Clark.

I know he can sometimes be a bit difficult - some people like him and some not. Hovever, the vehicles I've looked at have been reasonable value - and he's prepared to haggle!

Si

Funny you should mention that Simon as I have just been surfing again and spotted his ads. He has a few nice looking trucks that meet the remit....and I can find no good (or bad) feedback about him. The average Joe is more likely to post bad rather than good after all?

Might just be worth checking the engine oil level and see if it smells of diesel - especially if it's a bit high.

A number of Td5's have been known to have problems with injector seals which allows diesel into the engine oil, but it could also be a crack in the head.

Cheers again all.

Visited Brooklyns this evening to see the '07 TDCi hardtop. A good honest basic vehicle at a good price but we have one more to see Wednesday before we make a decision. Very tidy chassis and running gear with just a bit of interior wear and tear.

We were going to the Thatched Gge Wednesday but both the 90's we were heading to see have now been sold :(

Anyway all is not lost and the second truck is at Gotts. Another '07 commercial 90 but this time a TD5. We will take a butchers Wednesday and make a decision between that one and Brookies TDCi :P

How does oil get into the loom...?

A friend told me to check for this, but thought he was joking. lucky mine was all dry when i moved the ECU. haha

The loom runs from the red plug on the ECU to the cylinder head for firing the injectors. Failed seals here means that engine oil migrates down the loom to the ECU and eventually kills it.

Phone around all the dealers (franchised or otherwise) and tell them you have £xxxx cash waiting for the model you want and that you are prepared to wait Leave your contact details. Dealers love a quick churn of vehicles almost as much as profit. If they have it in their mind that they can move a part ex when a customer is buying newer they are more likely to do the deal.

It is really worth spending a couple of hours making the calls and being prepared to wait for the right vehicle.

Just my 2p worth.

Cheers for all the suggestions and we have now placed an order with Keith Gott's :D

2007 (56 plate) TD5 county spec. van with A/C, full winter pack (feels like you're wetting yourself LOL) and safari snorkel. High price but a very tidy and top specc'd commercial with 27k on the odo. Also thrown in a dog guard/12k service/12 month MOT/3 mths warranty (we will pay to extend from other sources). Appears to have been owned by landed gentry who only used it to pootle around his estate :P

Thanks again and now to order some M&M canvas seat covers/EGR removal kit......yadda, yadda ;) Pick up Friday week.

Our poor Series 2A will be sooo jealous LOL :lol:

Yep, I will post pics when it rolls home. K&N arrived for it (he will be called Feni - apparently :o That's what SWMBO tells me) this morning and the new M&M seat covers look well spanky!

One thing i noticed about the "man for land rovers" ( the thatched garage) is that all their vehicles seem to be a bit on the high side for pricing. He buys his vehicles from the same places u could well be looking at, i.e autotrader and auctions. He gets them cheap because he goes straight to the seller early with cash in his hand. Dont get me wrong though, he does pick some nice vehicles but u could save a good deal of money by searching for them yourself. I managed to get a 52 plate 90 station wagon in epsom green, in immaculate condition, fsh and waxoyled from new with 56k for £10k on the dot, i know if i bought it through the thatched garage or similar i would be paying at least £13k for the same thing. He is worth paying a visit though, and get haggling! Otherwise i highly recommend Nene Overland, they always find the best vehicles, they may be pricey but they will be the best kept landys that reasonable money can buy, and no i dont work for them! Hope you find a nice truck! Be patient and dont take second best!