engine power

richard05

hi all i new to land rover only bought my land rover 3 week ago got a m reg 300 tdi anyway since i has it i seem to notice that when i driving on flat road it brill but at soon i come to a big hill i losing power i can be at 50 mph and by the time i get to the top i lucky to be on 20 mph there seem to be no power even when i press it to the floor nothing??? i wonder if my turbo is gone or it somethings else? hope ya can help me on this thanks

The turbo could be at fault but it could also be the boost compensator in the injection pump, this adds fuel when the turbo comes on boost and the diaphragm inside it tends to seize up. Also the pipe between the turbo and the diaphragm can come adrift or chafe through, which means no boost to the pump which means no fuel which means no power. Also check the turbo hoses haven't collapsed internally especially the little 90 degree one just coming out of the turbo as this is a common problem.

I've also recently got a m-reg 300tdi, it had the same fault too. It turned out the turbo was buggered t2.jpg

It drove ok and very economical but as you said, useless at hills! I only found the fault by fitting a boost gauge which showed zero boost. A 2nd hand turbo fixed the boost and gave more power but i think there is still a lingering fuel issue too, i'm leaving that for a while as i need to use the motor.

Hi

I have the very same problem with engine power, driving the disco on its own it's not to bad, as like today coming down the M1 towing my caravan ( 24 foot twin axle ) as i hit a hill i have to drop down the gears ,may be down to 3RD on some, and at the same time the engine temp rises quite high, and when on the flat its OK but no real power. someone has said if may be the timing.

filters oil and air new lift pump changed sedementor bypass, and checked all the above.

thanks Martin