what are my options

andrew69

hi my land rover 2.25 diesel engine has totally let go. temp whent through the roof then pipe blew from heater matrix fixed pipe re filled with water started again the when after few hours tried to top up again it threw out all water and would not turn over. towed home by stan the super man.

came to drop all oils and water, water poured out of the sump first. weekend will carry on stripping engine. what the best that could be wrong or is a new engine needed. want to keep on road 9months mot/tax and paid in full for insurance so point in cancelling that. its in good condition and spent a lot of time painting and adding bling. but as most people these days not got any money!.

I was in a similar situation a few months back.

I'm not sure what's wrong, but it sounds like major head gasket issue to me, or maybe cylinder side wall has gone through. Don't know why else water would be in the sump, but it doesn't sound good. It may even have seized, does it turn by hand?

Keep stripping the engine but it sounds like you'll need a new block at least, fortunately they are not expensive; I managed to get a complete engine for £50.

If you do get a new engine make sure it is as similar as possible to what you have, 3MB or 5MB, and if 3MB imperial or metric or you'll have a lot of hassle with flywheels, different sized bolts etc.

The other option is an engine transplant, say a 200TDi or whatever, depends on your skill level. What I would say is that (apart from needing an engine hoist, and needing to be respectful of it's weight) just swapping an engine out for the same one should be cheap (certainly less then £200, probably less then £100) and easy.

I do actually have a late, 2.25 diesel 5MB block spare. It's OK but it's missing one piston, another is damaged, the head has dropped a valve, and I don't have many ancillaries but if it does turn out you need a new block it may be what you need. It does have a crank, end caps, flywheel, bell housing and some other bits. It needs new main and con-rod bearings. You can have it for free if you take it away, it's in the High Wycombe area but let me know as I was planning to scrap it this weekend.

I was in a similar situation a few months back.

I'm not sure what's wrong, but it sounds like major head gasket issue to me, or maybe cylinder side wall has gone through. Don't know why else water would be in the sump, but it doesn't sound good. It may even have seized, does it turn by hand?

Keep stripping the engine but it sounds like you'll need a new block at least, fortunately they are not expensive; I managed to get a complete engine for £50.

If you do get a new engine make sure it is as similar as possible to what you have, 3MB or 5MB, and if 3MB imperial or metric or you'll have a lot of hassle with flywheels, different sized bolts etc.

The other option is an engine transplant, say a 200TDi or whatever, depends on your skill level. What I would say is that (apart from needing an engine hoist, and needing to be respectful of it's weight) just swapping an engine out for the same one should be cheap (certainly less then £200, probably less then £100) and easy.

I do actually have a late, 2.25 diesel 5MB block spare. It's OK but it's missing one piston, another is damaged, the head has dropped a valve, and I don't have many ancillaries but if it does turn out you need a new block it may be what you need. It does have a crank, end caps, flywheel, bell housing and some other bits. It needs new main and con-rod bearings. You can have it for free if you take it away, it's in the High Wycombe area but let me know as I was planning to scrap it this weekend.

thanks for your advice, doubt i will be in a position to say yes to your kind offer this weekend. plus in manchester so might be a bit to far. seen on ebay 2 engines for 85 both three bear, like mine. getting them back is my next problem.

wish i had my landy!.