Which Battery for winching?

Tris Cocks

I used to have an X-Eng split charge relay linking the two batteries but i think the coil gave up and it wouldnt conduct between the two batteries.

I have thought about going for another one but to me it seems an expensive way of linking both batteries together as effectively once the ignition live is powered the battery is two that have been paralleled to make one - or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Wrong end of the stick, it only joins the two when the alternator is charging (when the light on the dash goes out).

This allows you to flatten the aux battery but still be able to start the car, or flatten the starter battery and then jump start by flicking a switch ;)

My thought would be that 99% of the time the engine would be running while im winching as i normally try to get the wheels turning while winching.

This would mean that both batterys would be drained at the same time, if i then stall after a long hard winch i would be possibly that i wouldnt have enough juice in either battery to start the truck.

could always use more than 1 alternator. theres a bit of messing around getting it mounted but its a much better long term way of keeping systems seperate but still reliable. depends if you use the winch enough to justify having a second full time alternator

Split charge systems are as important when the engine is off, as when it's on.

Two batteries left in parallel, if not completely identical, will charge and discharge each other, with almost a see-saw characteristic. The effect may be negligible, or it may well have a damaging effect on both batteries over time. A split charge relay protects against this.

Split charge systems are as important when the engine is off, as when it's on.

Two batteries left in parallel, if not completely identical, will charge and discharge each other, with almost a see-saw characteristic. The effect may be negligible, or it may well have a damaging effect on both batteries over time. A split charge relay protects against this.

I have three batteries in parallel without a problem, but that might be because they spend a lot of the time on an intelligent charger. :rolleyes: