V8 Conversion Bits

Astro_Al

Ok, so I need a V8 kit for my series chassis. As far as I'm aware, the kits available contain:

Engine mounts

Adapter ring for bellhousing

Spigot bush

And they go for about 350 quid?

Anyone know the best place to get one?

Or does anyone have the specs for the parts - seems a LOT of money for 4 bits of metal... :(

Cheers for any pointers.

Al.

Don't forget the clutch pressure plate for the S111 box. (the tryangle steel spacer plate)

The SD1 V8 fly wheels is a pain to adapte if its not already done. (11A engine)

If you can get hold of P5b manifolds you have much less cutting to do on the footwells.

Remote oil pump should also be in there some were otherwise you diff will remove your oil filter on your first off road trip.

Thanks for that, I already have the bellhousing sorted (it's a very long story).

I don't have to alter footwells as I'll fit it all and then fabricate a custom bulkhead around it.

In fact, I'm using an R380, so I wonder if I don't need that clutch pressure plate...?

Good call on the oil filter.

Al.

If your using the R380 you will not need a clutch pressure plate I asumed that you were using a S111 box.

If you have sorted the Bell housing you will not need the convetion ring as all that does is make the V8 fit the 2 1/4 bell housing.

I take it your using a R380 V8 bell housing.

If so will that not move the engin forward making the Oil pump/filter miss the diff ????

Good call on the oil filter.

You may get away with a smaller oil filter as I did on P6 timing cover. The SD1 and RR (except early RR) had oil filter angled as opposed to hanging vertically down so may be less of an issue.

Having seen several series v8 conversions, no two are the same, engines sit at different heights plus further forward than others in the bay so no way to say you will have problems re: diff squashing the filter.

A remote oil filter will sort that; if you don't have room for sandwich plate between timing cover and oil pump base, then you can buy low profile pump housings; Mocal do one and someone else (FF or HFH will know the one I refer to).

You should also think about cooling (don't start me on that) - very likely you will not have room for viscous fan unless you have P6 water pump.

it goes without saying you should be thinking of fitting a second petrol tank under the passenger seat if you don't have one laready.

When I did my conversion I also had to mount the alternator approx 1" forward so that it would line up with a P6 waterpump (the shortest waterpump available for the SD1 cover) and a custom pully, however I was retaining the original SIII radiator. Remote oil filter kit was from the US, about £25. Also had to use an electric cooling fan for the rad as there was no room for the viscous fan unit.

I thought this would get complex.

To explain (brief as poss) - using mega-short R380 bellhousing so there is enough room in the short wheelbase landy for V8, R380 and LT230 (yes I know about axles, please don't go down that path). It has holes for 200tdi bolt spacing - same as series petrols, hence the need for an adapter ring even though I'm fitting a V8 and an R380. I know it's odd, but the length saving is significant.

I know a V8 and a regular R380 bellhousing will mate, but that's too long.

I'll use a custom radiator and an electric fan (with manual over-ride).

I will make 2 fuel tanks - one under each seat, but not as deep as the regular ones.

Anyone got any info on the kits or dimensions of the bits included - I hear they vary in quality and even GEOMETRY...! It really seems a LOT of cash for a few simple metal bits...

I guess I could make the adapter plate when I get the engine...? Maybe the mounts too? Just hang it in position and measure for the mounts.

Anyone know what the hell a 'spigot bush' is? :huh:

Thanks. Al.

I was not awear they fitted the 200tdi to the R380 I thought the it was the 300tdi which has a diffrant bolt arangment.??

I had the Remote pump cover not samwich plate that on other vercals I could never stop bloody leaking. anyway my remote pump kit was from Merlin motor sprot but it was a lot more the £25 so I would go down his root.

I also had loads of faffing as I fitted a SD1 Vitesse lump to a Lightweight when I was about 18 so a mate did most of the work but Ali and I did all the resurch and got it all running.

I bought a second hand kit so it was bits cobled together but the engine sat level in the bay were as some have the engine leaning back but with the normal filter arangment I had the option of going 101 filter arangement of flat and remote which is what I did in the end go for.

Guest diesel_jim
Anyone know what the hell a 'spigot bush' is?

It's a bronze bush that fits right in the end of the crankshaft (flywheel end), and the primary shaft from the gearbox goes into it (after it's gone through the clutch plates)

Yes, the 200 tdi has the same bolt pattern as a series engine.

The bellhousing I have is from the retro-fit kit that they made when they introduced the R380. People could buy a special short version of it to fit to their existing 90 with a 200tdi engine. They didn't make many, and now they are just about impossible to find. Took me a LONG time - I tracked one down in Germany in the end. Most people in the UK didn't even know it existed - they always thought I meant the 'wolf' one, which it isn't. Obviously it has a short input shaft to match, but you can get hold of these.

Apparently, a TR7 one is also an option - nice and short, but I didn't know this at the time.

Kits anyone? Homebrew...?

Thanks Jim. Al.

Al,

Adapter rings are easy enough to come by on eBay, <£50 seems to be the going rate

Clutch I would hope you can use a V8/200TDi one (they might even be the same part # - when LR built the 200TDi they fitted a lot of parts from the V8 into the design!)

Spigot bush you shouldn't need, but if you do I've heard some clever chap turns down the input shaft instead of butchering the back of the crank

Flywheel - DON'T use an SD1 one, mine had one on it and it was a PITA, they weigh about 1/3 of what a RR one does so make it 3 times easier to stall pulling away (esp. off-road) <_< (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) If you fit an SD1 flywheel you need a special clutch release bearing from a conversion co, or as Jules said space the clutch back to meet the stock one.

Oil filter - use a FlowTech replacement pump cover remote from RPi, they're the best design I've seen and are as flush as can be with the bottom of the block, you gain about 6" over the stock setup and about 4" over the spin-on Mocal adapters. Even if you don't *need* a remote, get one, they make priming the oil pump sooooo much easier - just undo the hose and pour oil down.

I was not awear they fitted the 200tdi to the R380 I thought the it was the 300tdi which has a diffrant bolt arangment.??

I had the Remote pump cover not samwich plate that on other vercals I could never stop bloody leaking. anyway my remote pump kit was from Merlin motor sprot but it was a lot more the £25 so I would go down his root.

I also had loads of faffing as I fitted a SD1 Vitesse lump to a Lightweight when I was about 18 so a mate did most of the work but Ali and I did all the resurch and got it all running.

I bought a second hand kit so it was bits cobled together but the engine sat level in the bay were as some have the engine leaning back but with the normal filter arangment I had the option of going 101 filter arangement of flat and remote which is what I did in the end go for.

This one hey Jules

L2%20(2).JPG

L1.JPG

L5.JPG

Where did you find that photo. :):):):)

I haven't got any pics of that truck.

0-60 could out run a 318is BMW if the gear box could hold together, I loved that old girl.

I must have been taken before Billing 98 because of the roll bar is not in it there.

Can you mail me the pic's or bring them tonight.

Yes I know the engine bay is a little messy I was 20 when I did that conversion

Thank's Ali