Memory Map and a GPS mouse

I finally have Memory Map!!

I have bought this GPS mouse from amazon.

I have memory map installed, license details all entered, maps loaded and I can quite happily play with the maps and put on tracks etc.

Now the problem I'm having is getting the GPS elements working.

I've installed the drivers for the GPS mouse.

But I cannot get the map to show my position? or connect to the GPS mouse it seems.

I have made sure that the details are the same as far as I can see.

I am for the moment just playing with the set up on my desktop PC, so I have the GPS mouse laying out on the gutter outside my window! :lol:

See the attached screen shots for details...

Thanks in advance :)

post-5198-001893000 1283537023_thumb.jpg

post-5198-097083000 1283537057_thumb.jpg

They look right, but it won't hurt to cycle through a couple of other COM ports just to check. Also try another GPS program to validate MMap isn't at fault... there are free things out there, including Google Earth. Which reminds me of another thing to check, make sure no other apps are open 'listening' to COM5.

What does the bottom right of the MMap window say - 'no signal', or 'can't open com port'?

I use MMap, and a GPS using the same drivers and it works fine.

Don't change com ports, just go to device manager, check what com port is allocated, and enter that number into MMap GPS setup. The baud rate MUST be 4800 for MMap, set this in device manager.

Many GPS's come with a utility to configure them and even find which port they're on. If you don't have one, PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send one over which searches through every COM port for a valid GPS response.

I'll drop you a PM in a Minute, thanks Fridge :)

Go to device manager, find the GPS thing (will be listed as a serial to USB port thing) and see what COM port it is set to. Then set MM to search that port :)

I checked which port it was in Device manager and put that into MM :)

I shall give that a go :). So does this go between MM and the GPS signal?

Xport, says: 'GPS on COM5 4800'. Do I need to set anything up with Xport? or will it do its thing? :unsure:

With MM GPS set-up, I have it set to SiRF (is this right?), 4800 and COM5.

Still it is saying it cannot open COM port in MM...

So you definately have 4800 gps on com 5. I don't think the SIRF is right, certainly mine uses a SIRF chip but needs MM to be set to NMEA.

MM is very fussy first time, you will need to leave it outdoors to get a signal for at least 10 mins.

So does Xport go between MM and the GPS signal?
Yes, although it's better to think of it the other way round.

The GPS receiver signals into Xport.

Xport then transmits out to any or all of the PC programmes that require the GPS signal, via the Enabled Ports.

Xport, says: 'GPS on COM5 4800'. Do I need to set anything up with Xport?

Yes.
or will it do its thing?
Yes, but there are limits!
With MM GPS set-up, I have it set to SiRF (is this right?), 4800 and COM5.
No, Yes, and No.
Still it is saying it cannot open COM port in MM...

That's because you have MM set incorrectly.

You cannot set MM to the same COM port that the GPS is using to signal into Xport, so if Xport shows the GPS as using port 5 you MUST set MM to us another port.

For a fuller explanation, scroll down this page http://www.curioustech.net/xport.html and look at the screen shot of Xport, and read the explanations alongside.

xport3.jpg

In yours the Input Port is labelled COM5, Yes?

What numbers are shown in the list of Output ports on your Xport? (The equivalent of COM4, COM5, COM6, in the screen shot).

Set MM to use whatever port is shown in the top box under 'Enable Ports'. It doesn't matter if the box entries are greyed out. Make sure the Enable Ports' box is ticked, as in the screen shot.

Set MM to use 'Generic NMEA'.

Setting MM to use 4800 was the one bit you got right :-) !!

You might have to restart MM.

HTH

Firstly Thanks to all that have helped so far, much appreciated :D. I would say I'm computer literate (I build PCs for a hobby :P), but this GPS stuff is new :).

I see how Xport is working now :).

I have Xport input as COM5, and the output currently as COM1, Now I select COM1 in MM, I have it connected I think and 'GPS: starting' shown in the bottom right of the screen! Progress! :D

I have the GPS out on the gutter again, but I'm not getting anything for the 'satellites' and the 'current postion' window also shows 'starting'.

Am I right to assume that the starting means that Its just waiting for a lock on with a satellite? :)

... Now I select COM1 in MM, I have it connected I think and 'GPS: starting' shown in the bottom right of the screen! Progress!

I have the GPS out on the gutter again, but I'm not getting anything for the 'satellites' and the 'current postion' window also shows 'starting'.

Am I right to assume that the starting means that Its just waiting for a lock on with a satellite?

I'm assuming these windows and screens you refer to are in MemoryMap.

If MM can't see any signal, then it would say 'GPS Communication Timeout' in the bottom right, and the MM Satellite Status pop-up will be blank.

I'd say give it one last try, now you have the settings correct, close and restart MM. If it still won't lock on quickly, within 1 minute, suspect the receiver. Borrow another one, and ask someone else to try yours, it's looking as though it's a poor example. Personally, over £30 for a 20 channel unit is OTT in this day and age, although overpricing shouldn't stop it working. I've seen recent posts on other forums from people saying they have bought that model recently and it works OK. Amazon must have sold out all their stock to someone.

Best of Luck.

That would be great Scott, I can only bring the mouse to test if thats ok, as I'm only playing with MM on my desktop PC until I beg/borrow/steal/buy something mobile.

Tried it again this evening, I'm still only getting 'starting' showing in MM and eventually a timeout message, still nothing at all showing on the satellites window in MM. Starting to suspect the reciever is a carp one <_< . Anyone recommend a good one as this one is turning out to be a turd :angry:

Fridge sent me the program that searches for active GPS signals... but Silly old hotmail blocked it for being unsafe :rolleyes:

I'd recommend choosing a port other than COM1 by the way... only because it is typically associated with legacy stuff like serial mice etc. Choose COM4 for example. In general, it does sound like you're not getting a signal, but given 2-3 mins you should get a few satellite locks if the receiver is outside.

If you bring you GPS mouse with you tomorrow I'll pop it on my system, at least you'll know if it works. I bought this receiver and it has been great.

I will get there tomorrow night, but may be late because I'll be driving back from a free day Alton Towers... sometimes my job is tough!