VOX vs Bluetooth headsets

martifers

Headset choice  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which headset option are people running or would suggest?

Hey guys looking into comm headsets for use in challenge events and am not sure which way to go? The more expensive, 'overpriced' bluetooth set advertised on a certain well known 4x4 site is a tad too expensive, or maybe I'm missing the functions/pints that make it worthwhile..? Have found cheaper bluetooth 'bt interphone / team rider' type sets that compare to the likes of the midland G7 vox but i'm not sure which way to go.

The bluetooth options we've looked at has only a 7hr battery life, which I worry won't be enough for some events or won't last after numerous charges. However the lack of channels on the VOX (9 that we've seen), and transmission overlaps / blocks with other teams also stops me buying on the off.

What are people using / have experience with / would recommend?

Any help would be great, utterly stumped as to which way to go at the moment :S

Cheers, Sharpie

The issue, particularly with PMR is narrow bandwidth leading to poor sound quality. This is particularly important in noisy environments such as a car.

There are several cheaper versions of the Bluetooth headsets on eBay from the far east, claiming 100m or more range. I've not tested them, but they might be worth a shot.

One other option I have tried and it works pretty well is to use a pair of DECT cordless phones with headsets. The base station is required for one handset to talk to another (as an intercom) - but most run from 12v and are happy using a car battery. The voice quality is very good and many have a range of 1/4mile from the handset to the base station. I bought a pair of phones for £30 and headrets for £9.99 each - so £50.

It is a bit more bulky than the Cardo units - but it is a lot cheaper too.

Si

The PMR handsets (446MHz) have 8 channels allocated to them. In addition, the sets use CTCSS subtones, which allows a certain degree of privacy, or more accurately, you can set them to no hear others - you still share the channel though.

CTCSS works by transmitting a low frequency tone on the channel, and in order for the receiver to process this, there is a noticeable delay before the squelch opens on the receiver, and you can hear the person talking to you.

VOX works by deciding of there is sufficient speech arriving in the microphone and subsequently enabling the transmitter. There is a short delay for this to happen.

As both of these systems running together begin to incur appreciable delays, you end up finding that if you start counting, you generally get to about 3 or 4 before the other person hears you. I can imagine that in challenge events, where I guess a lot of the communication may be short "Go" "Stop" or "Winch In, Billybob" type messages, this could become quite frustrating quite quickly, and all you would end up hearing is the speaker clicking, or the "Billybob" in the last example.

Of course, in a busy competition, if there are more than 8 teams using the PMR system, there's a good chance that you'll clash with another team at one time or anther, and the received audio will also be incomprehensible.

Hey guys looking into comm headsets for use in challenge events and am not sure which way to go? The more expensive, 'overpriced' bluetooth set advertised on a certain well known 4x4 site is a tad too expensive, or maybe I'm missing the functions/pints that make it worthwhile..? Have found cheaper bluetooth 'bt interphone / team rider' type sets that compare to the likes of the midland G7 vox but i'm not sure which way to go.

The bluetooth options we've looked at has only a 7hr battery life, which I worry won't be enough for some events or won't last after numerous charges. However the lack of channels on the VOX (9 that we've seen), and transmission overlaps / blocks with other teams also stops me buying on the off.

What are people using / have experience with / would recommend?

Any help would be great, utterly stumped as to which way to go at the moment :S

Cheers, Sharpie

The Scala Rider Q2 quote 8 to 10 hours talk time with a week on standby, an event only tends to last 6 hours and you won't be talking all the time.

I've had mine about 2 years and the batteries still last an event fine.

I have notice that the range has reduced since everybody started using these headsets but not enough to cause any problems winching.

Also note they they do a car charger so, they could be run from the vehicle if required (though the wires would be annoying)

There is also the newer Q4 which is around twice the price around £440 but that quote 10 hour talk time and a week standby (also does a much bigger range).

See http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-solo

James (co driver) uses peltor com lite II headset.... they can be set to voice activate :)

In the truck i wear a helmet, so have a PTT button on my steering wheel and i plug the helmet into a radio fitted in the cab. I've not been able to get the voice activation to work on my radio :( Programmed to the same freq's as the peltor's.

If i don't wear a helmet, we have another headset to use instead.

Not cheap (the motorola lead cost me £130!)... but very good :)

G

Cheers guys! I wasn't sure whether there would be quality issues with VOX or whether it would be discernible comparing with bluetooth. I wasn't aware of delays with PMR either. Think I will go for the bluetooth option.

Many thanks

Sharpie

have a chat with Gwyn he stocks both scala bluetoth types and uses them he would be happy for you to play with them either at a show or one of the howling wolf events, he also has had a lot to do with cb's and a little to do with vox sets