300 tdi oil leaks

i changed the cambelt & all the oil seals in front timing chest as well as the gasket between the timing chest & block. had the sump off & replaced with tube of genuine landrover gasket sealer. put it all back together & after 250miles had oil leaking from drain hole in front timing chest. removed it to find new crank seal leaking. so replaced it again along with another new cambelt ( due to oil contamination ) replaced breather on rocker cover with new one. now after 1000 miles have got small amount of oil coming from drain hole in timing chest again. engine has had new rings,conrods,big ends & mains & new head. has any body got any ideas as to why this is happing. any sugestions would be good as it is driving me mad. cheers.

It might be worth you re-checking the whole breather system, if thats blocked anywhere it could blow out the front of the engine.

You've said the engine has had a pretty big overhaul. Just speculating here, but could your crankshaft be out of alignment?

all seals & cambelt are genuine land rover

You can't get better than that usually.

If you changed the crank toothed pulley it would have a new sealing surface and would very likely seal with a new seal let alone 2 so it could be getting past the O ring possibly, and oozing between the crank & the toothed pulley. Apart from that and the camshaft seal it's hard to know how oil can escape into the timing case. I do think though that the O ring there doesn't always seal aginst the keyway in the pulley, as it seems to be barely big enough, so there could be a leak path there.If you have it apart again it might pay you to measure how much of a gap you have for the O ring to fill - it could need a slightly fatter O ring (it'll be compressed by the crank shaft pulley bolt squashing everything up)

Nigel

When you replaced the gasket between the timing case and the block did you also replace the small round gasket that seals the timing tensioner bolt?

Jon.

What's all this about ?

I read every tutorial on the web before changing my cambelt and never heard about this gasket, now I'm getting cambelt paranoia !!!

Its between the block and the back of the timing cover so only applies if your taking the whole timing casing off the block (i had to when converting a discovery engine to defender spec)

Its on the parts diagram but annoyingly i failed to notice it & had to strip the whole thing down again to stop oil leaking from the adjuster bolt.

So when just replacing the cam belt its not an issue unless you have an oil leak from the adjuster bolt. or need to take the back timing case off the block.

Jon

What's all this about ?

I read every tutorial on the web before changing my cambelt and never heard about this gasket, now I'm getting cambelt paranoia !!!

Its between the block and the back of the timing cover so only applies if your taking the whole timing casing off the block (i had to when converting a discovery engine to defender spec)

Its on the parts diagram but annoyingly i failed to notice it & had to strip the whole thing down again to stop oil leaking from the adjuster bolt.

So when just replacing the cam belt its not an issue unless you have an oil leak from the adjuster bolt. or need to take the back timing case off the block.

Jon

pheeeuuuw !!