Breather / Wading kit

Im hoping to go and get everything that needed to extent my breathers and get a couple of wading plugs as well to make a kit like this but for half the price

The question ive got is what size are the wading plugs? am i right in saying 1/2" BSP?

and also what unions do i need, ive already got two 90º fittings for the axle, so need to get two another two for the gearbox and transfer box, what about the timing chest and fuel tank (or is not worth worrying about?)

Cheers

Tris

You may well be rude and grumpy but i have searched and couldnt find the information i required.... i even used the advanced search in google specifically searching this site before i asked!

But thanks for you informative reply

and you might want to update your picture as its still from the old skin

Sorry, I didn't mention I was lazy too thefinger.gif

I'd suggest looking at where the breathers will be going and deciding for yourself if straight or angled fittings would be best, or just buying a slack handfull of each from the hydro shop to cover a few eventualities.

Wading plugs are usually 1/4" BSP from memory.

I opened this topic to see if I would find something of interest as I am going to be extending my breathers mainly because I have the pipe kicking around and was hoping to find something useful..

Silly me, just sarcasm. !

That’s not what the forums are about..

11,636 posts.. That’s a lot of useful information you have imparted to the people who visit this forum. Or is it.. just……

I opened this topic to see if I would find something of interest as I am going to be extending my breathers mainly because I have the pipe kicking around and was hoping to find something useful..

Silly me, just sarcasm. !

Thats not what the forums are about..

11,636 posts.. Thats a lot of useful information you have imparted to the people who visit this forum. Or is it.. just……

Now now! To be fair to FF, this topic has come up several times before and many of his posts have been incredibly useful (including the second one on this topic re: 1/4" bsp). To be fair to need4speed, the search function on the forum is useless and without the right words in google, you'll fail to find anything useful on here by searching that way.

Gwyn Lewis does a wading kit, which looks sturdier, better quality and more complete than the ebay one mentioned above, but it is 3 times the cost of the ebay kit, so i'm guessing the op wont want to go there! However, have a look here anyway as it may give you some ideas and some of the parts are for sale seperately:

http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page61.html

Getting back to the technical question at hand;

6mm push-fit hose and connectors work well. I believe the gearboxes and axles are 1/8" BSP. 90 degree right angle connectors work better than straight ones.

Connectors to do both axles and both gearboxes, and hose to get each of them to the top of a snorkel doesn't cost a lot of money at all.

There's plenty to choose from on ebay, though fittings can usually be sourced cheaper with a bit more effort.

Ive managed to go out today and get a length of 6mm hose to run up to the snorkel, as well as four 90º elbows to fit into the axles, gearbox and transfer case, but am a bit stuck on how to fit a breather to the timing chest, looking at the link to Gwyns breather Kit it looks like the cover over the injector pump, is it possible to just tap into this cover or is that not advisable?

Also, does anybody know where i can get hold of a branch manifold and/or some Y Pieces other than Gwyn Lewis as i have spent the last half hour searching for some manifolds and cant find seem to find the push fit type.

The best and cheapest place to sort all this wading kit mallarky will be your local pipe/fittings supplier.

In Bristol that's a company called "Bristol Hose", search for something similar in your area. The brouchures are normally 4 inches thick and contain photos of just about everything so they are easy to navigate.

You can pick up all the push fit fittings, the polyflow gas tubing and any type of manifold you could ever desire for half the cost.

As for the transfer/gearbox pipes I generally extend the existing breathers (which terminate in the engine bay as standard). Unless you take the access plate up from under the middle seat/cubby box they are impossible to reach.

Jim

Well having recently ripped my front breather in two I've decided to re-do mine. I was thinking about stainless tube across the axles, with a thicker rubber tube hose clipped on where it needs to extend/flex. That or seeing if there are braided hoses with banjo fittings that might do the job?